Prints or DVD?

Thread: Prints or DVD?

1. Default Prints or DVD?

I'm getting ready to send off my images for the Feb 9th deadline. It concerns me that some members are having trouble with making DVD's that work on all players. I'm not exactly an expert in this area either; I don't want to hear back from PPA in a few weeks that my images couldn't be viewed, etc. and then having to wait around another three months.

The certification website says "DVD video allows the most consistent rendering ensuring that your images are viewed properly." Besides cost though, is there a real disadvantage in submitting 8x10 prints instead of a DVD? I thought about including both in case my DVD decides not to play...

Stacey - I don't really know, I'm just guessing - but it's a lot easier for PPA to handle 1 DVD than 20 8x10 prints. Plus if they are still returning the prints - there is that expense. So I'm guessing that that's the reason they are trying to encourage DVD's. I really don't know why the DVD would be preferable otherwise. Just my guesses here - but I wouldn't bother to send a DVD if you are gonna send prints anyway. Maybe somebody else knows something different?

Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

yeah, I'm echoing Holly's thoughts.

DVD isn't just easier for us to make and send it, it's got to be easier for the judges to review. Also easier to keep track of one image etc etc.

I'd just do one or the other.

And the playback issue -- that's arising from trying to use newer DVD's on an OLDER player. I am betting that the player the judges have is within 3 years old....and shouldn't have the compatability issues that the older (say 5 years or more) players have.
    Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email

Stacy I believe that they are using a computer and the compatability issues are with stand alone dvd players on a tv. To my knowledge there is no issues with a computer. I would send the dvd. JMO Good luck Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

5. Default Thanks

Thanks to all for the input. Based on the advise I'm going to send my images on DVD. Wish me luck!

Good Luck Stacey!
    Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email

Prints or DVD's????

At this point I would almost suggest submitting prints because when we judge them we can see them as a whole group of your work which is a plus. If you decide to enter prints then I might suggest that you use a pro lab to have these printed instead of inkjet. We see a lot of images that are inconsistent in color. Remember, this is supposed to be work that you sell to your clients.

I love to view the images on DVD because the colors are consistent and they load fast, on most DVD's that are submitted. When these are judged we are using a TV and a DVD player that is set up by PPA at headquarters in Atlanta. The Image Submission Guidelines say....DVD Video, no sound. DVD slide show must exhibit for 3 seconds. A transition may be applied between slides; the same transition must be used on all. Some people are doing a great job on these and it's very impressive. If you have the software like Pro Show Gold or Apple's iDVD the shows are flawless. Some of you are using programs like Pictures to EXE and Photoshop making a .pdf presentation. The Guidelines say nothing about either of these. Now lucky for some of you, the .pdf presentations from Photoshop can be viewed on a laptop that I bring, just in case, but the .exe files do not work and will be returned.

So with that said, if your sending a DVD I suggest that you use a nice DVD authoring software or just place your images on a DVD. Also... Don't send 40MB files. All they have to be is 8x10 / 10x8 at 300 dots per inch then saves as a jpg. The quality is for screen only.

Hope this helps some.
    Jason Smith
    PPA Certified, M.photog., Cr., MEI
    www.pixelventures.com
    www.smith-studio.com
    www.portraitdepot.com

So, Jason, did I pass?