Competition Critique ... if you would be so kind :-) - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default I guess you didn't like mine

Hi John;

I guess you didn't like my title of "Fantasy Dance ?

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by D. Craig Flory View Post
    Hi John;

I guess you didn't like my title of "Fantasy Dance ?
    Honesty Craig, I guess I did not really. Although I appreciate what you did and it did give me some more ideas. And I like what you do to images about 99.99999% of the time!

I think I was trying to go for a BIG scene, small subject, and classic look. So, I had that thought process going into it. Not that I achieved it, but that was my "vision", if you can call it that.

I'm still lost for a title. I liked Holly's except that I'm not sure I want to go the whole "pink tint" route.

John here is my quick attempt. the sky is not right but it is the best I have available on my lap top as I am away from the studio at the present time. there are a few details that I found that would need to be fixed but this will give ideas. If the file was larger I could have checked the lighting on the couple but I can't here. I am not good with titles but: In love's shelter, Standing the test of time, Love's Dance...

Good Luck
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Default Now I'm curious ...

Hi Keith;

I get caught up in always trying to find a way to have the point of interest on one of the golden mean points. I like your version a lot but they are in between quadrants. Talk to me... as a judge how much would not fitting a quadrant effect score. It doesn't work with the Bakker Saddle either. And this isn't a case of Crash Point Symetry drawing eyes to them. If it was, bottom middle is common.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith A. Howe View Post
    I am not good with titles but: In love's shelter, Standing the test of time, Love's Dance...
    You are right oh light of my life - you aren't good with titles. I like "Center Stage" or "Opening Night"

Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

Holly's on the same track as what I was thinking before I got to her reply: Love Takes Center Stage
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Quote Originally Posted by D. Craig Flory View Post
    Hi Keith;

I get caught up in always trying to find a way to have the point of interest on one of the golden mean points. I like your version a lot but they are in between quadrants. Talk to me... as a judge how much would not fitting a quadrant effect score. It doesn't work with the Bakker Saddle either. And this isn't a case of Crash Point Symetry drawing eyes to them. If it was, bottom middle is common.
    Some images just do not fit the rule of thirds or bakers saddle or bullseye compositions. I feel as a jurror I would look at the image in front of me and realize these issues. Then I would ask Does it affect the impact of the image? As for this image, I see composition within the image.I see thirds in the placrment of the couple within the arch. Kind of a sub composition.

Now to answer your question, how much this effect the score. Composition effects the score by not having as dramatic of impact. Impact is the most important part of the image. Yes I feel this image could be stronger. I would like it to have dramatic lighting (I think this is weak as far as lighting is concerned but I can't tell for sure on this file). I do not know if I would feel that the composition would be improved with the couple over to the thirds of the image, because of the arch within the stage. I opened the image and copied the couple and moved them around on the stage. End result I would like to have them in the lower right third or close to it but the improvement is minimal do to the presence of the arch.

This image in my opinion is one that could be a merit (assuming the print quality and artwork is done well). Do I think it is going to have a chance at the exceptional catagory ??? probably not but we are looking to see what could be done with the image and if it is merit worthy. IMHO I believe this is the case.
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Levesque View Post
    Holly's on the same track as what I was thinking before I got to her reply: Love Takes Center Stage
    This is brilliant! I bow to thee ... it also plays into the fact that the composition is primarily centered.
    Last edited by Gregory_Aide; 02-06-2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: offensive language

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Keith A. Howe View Post
    John here is my quick attempt. the sky is not right but it is the best I have available on my lap top as I am away from the studio at the present time. there are a few details that I found that would need to be fixed but this will give ideas. If the file was larger I could have checked the lighting on the couple but I can't here. I am not good with titles but: In love's shelter, Standing the test of time, Love's Dance...

Good Luck
    Keith
    Keith, I REALLY like what you did to the image as far as cleaning up all the details. Do you really like the blue? I kinda did at first, but when I attempted the toning I applied, I thought it gave it a real classic feel, no?

Also, whenever I do that much cloning to my images, it seems as though the print quality takes a serious nose dive. Is that part and parcel with that kind of editing or do I still have WAY more learning in Photoshop ahead of me?

Another title possibility "Something Blue"
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com