Competition Critique ... if you would be so kind :-) - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default can you do everything

Mark said... except leave the color in the blue and bride and groom? I know I'm likely in the minority...just came to life when I saw the blue.

John,
    THere are a lot of little thing that could make this image go. Please take a look at your symetry thous. If a plague is not on one side, remove the other. Also consider a vertical presentation, not horizontal. I also think it need to be cropped in a bit more on the sides. Good luck.
    Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

I'm asking this question because I really don't know - does the shadow on the inside of the arch make any difference? Should he try to fix it or leave it? I just wondered if it would bother the judges.

Also, Jeff, how would do a vertical presentation without losing any of the arch?
    Lori Clapp
    www.amomentintime2.com
    Will I EVER know how to use what I learn?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHeckler View Post
    Holly, what "burning" are you refering to? I did not burn anything in this image. I think I see what may look like burning at about 10 o'clock immediately above the arch ... is that what you are talking about?

BTW, I do have more at the bottom, but it is ugly and

When you look at the B&W worked image there is a thin line of lighter area in the sky outlining the arch. It shows up everywhere except where the trees are. So what it looks like is that you burned the sky right up to the arch but missed that thin lighter area. I know you said there was no burning but this lighter line does not show up in the color version.

I know you think those bushes at the bottom are ugly - cause they are! But by completely cropping them out - the bride and groom are sooooo tight to the bottom. I believe judges will be more put off by that than a few ugly bush tops. JMO.

Lori asked about the uneven light inside the arch. Yes- I would like it better if it wasn't such a distinct line from shadow to highlight areas but that is not the easiest fix - so you decide how much effort to are willing to put into this.

Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Howe View Post
    ... So what it looks like is that you burned the sky right up to the arch but missed that thin lighter area. I know you said there was no burning but this lighter line does not show up in the color version. ...
    I think this came from the transform->scaling as I squashed it down some. I do see what you are talking about ... I'll have to play with that some.

I know you think those bushes at the bottom are ugly - cause they are! But by completely cropping them out - the bride and groom are sooooo tight to the bottom. I believe judges will be more put off by that than a few ugly bush tops. JMO.
    Yep, I see your point. I see if I can clone them out successfully.

I really appreciate all the feedback from folks. Great points from everyone and thanks so much for taking the time!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dachowski View Post
    John,
    THere are a lot of little thing that could make this image go. Please take a look at your symetry thous. If a plague is not on one side, remove the other. Also consider a vertical presentation, not horizontal. I also think it need to be cropped in a bit more on the sides. Good luck.
    Jeff
    Thanks Jeff. When you say "consider a vertical presentation ...", do you still think the actual image should be somewhat panoramic, but just placed either low or high in the 16x20 matte?

Default My take on it ...

Hi John;

Here is my take on it ... I call it "Fantasy Dance".

John,
    Yes,
    Panoramic, but at the upper top of the frame.
    Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

I'm thinking maybe get rid of all the tree branches above the arch - but maybe not - messs around with it and see what you think.
    Holly
    That was my first thought..

10. Default

Anyone want to help me with a title on this? One thing this image kinda looked like to me, as this is weird I admit, is that the bride and groom kinda looked like the hands on a clock, basically representing 1:00pm or a little after ... so I was trying to think of a title that might help suggest that.

I have failed to come up with anything that wasn't completely stupid and in trying it out on folks to see if they "saw" the clock thing proved to be a miss.

But, does any of that invoke any ideas for a title?