Print comp thoughts on this one?
  1. Default Print comp thoughts on this one?

I really like this old fire truck (don't know the model or year, does anyone here?), but am not sure how to work this for print competition or if there are too many things going against it to try. Any thoughts?

I have worked this one a little as the sky was totally washed out and I have boosted color saturations some on this as well. I think I over did the color sat, was just playing around.

Here is the original:

And here is a 4:5 ratio crop without the boost in color sat:

Last edited by JohnHeckler; 01-27-2007 at 07:55 PM.

John,
    The biggest issue with this images is the lighting. IMO. THe light is very flat, and has almost no direction. Not to mention that it seems that this year was the year of the old truck. I think I saw four of them in San Antonio, and at least to others in the Kodak Gallery awards. Could you re photograph? I would think that images you see on the road are worth going back at the right time to make a fantastic image. Consider even bringing a flash with a pocket wizard and some gels to supplement the light.
    Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

3. Default

Thanks Jeff. I never seem to have a good feel for my own images.

I loved this truck when I saw it, but the conditions at the time were not the best. It is in Kentucky, about 4 hours from where I am so it's not exactly very convenient for me to get to, but that was all I could think about at the time, was coming back to shoot under better conditions. *sigh* I shot this thing from several angles and restled with the best angle to shoot it and keep the building out of it as well.

I played around with hue/saturation on various versions, but never really fell onto anything I liked.