new track lighting
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default new track lighting

Please critique...

I like it great, but I am not crazy about the bright white stroke. Very, very nice image. Have you tried it flipped the other direction though?

Default On the right "track" with it ...

Hi Sue Ellen;

I think you are on the right "track" with this image. (sorry ... bad pun I know *S*)

I see a white accent line that is too wide and too much contrast from the image. It draws attention to itself instead of setting off the image. Here is my version using a tone from the image for an accent. Please note that in my 72 ppi version it was only 1 pixel. That equates to between 3 & 6 pixels full res ... you will have to experiment. I also fixed the glare on the tracks. I would like to see the train lights not as bright.

Default D. Craig...

I do like the thinner line! I see what you mean.

Re glare on tracks...at first I was surprised that you would remove this...it's part of what actually was there...but it does improve the image and nothing is lost. Thanks!

Flip it
    Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Howe View Post
    Flip it
    Holly
    Ok. Why? (question...NOT argument!!!)

Hi Sue
    Our eyes reads from top left to bottom right after years of reading the latin characters in text. The way the image is the eye starts at the back of the train and then moves in the opposite direction of the movement of the train towards the front. It's like a film being played in reverse. if you flip the image the eye will read the front of the train first and follow the cars to the end as if the train were passing by. Tells the story better. Now If you look at the collection of prints from China where they're eyes have been trained to read the opposite direction you will see they also read images in the opposite direction. I saw the traveling show from China in 2002 and it was very obvious that they've been trained to read differently than we have.

OK I know Blah Blah Blah! Bottom line - this way the train is in reverse, flipped it's moving forward. Simple enough.
    Last edited by David_A._Lottes; 01-26-2007 at 05:17 PM.

Default Better?

Yup
    Now my eyes settle in the intersection of the bottom right thirds. Thats where the subject is now and it's a very comfortable place for my eyes to rest and study the image. Before my eyes kept trying to find a place to settle. Now the lines lead me strongly to the subject instead of away from it, and a good title to. Nice job Sue!

I like the image very much. I fell you could tone down the guard rail (I think it is guard rail) on the right side as you view the image, and the small sign to the right of the train. Another thought would to select the train tracts and stretch them to make a wider print?
    Rick
    Richard J. Carpenter, Master Photographer, Cr. CPP
    www.judsonrickphotography.com