What you need to know before you enter.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default What you need to know before you enter.

Again, I am thrilled to see such an interest in this section. I want all of us who are new at this to learn a couple of things before we start entering more prints. What I am getting at is those who have a lot of success in this venue, could you chime in some words of wisdom. Fo instance, Keith and Holly Howe explained to me that my prints are too light in overall exposure as the lights are quite bright, and a print for competition would probably be too dark to hang on your wall. A point I never would have understood unless someone told me. Got any more?
    Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

If your print is mounted on a white core board - black the edges with a magic marker (unless it is a very highkey print) Remember when the print is judged - it spins around on a turn table - so the judges actually see the edge first. It would be like presenting an image to a client with a white strip down one side - not attractive!

When you pack your print case - don't put the prints inside of a plastic bag or wrap them up. Just layer something soft ( we use black felt) between each print. The print crew who unpacks are wearing those awful print gloves. Don't make it hard for them and for pity sake DO NOT tape anything around the prints. Do you really want a print crew member waving a scissors anywhere near your print? trust me - you cannot peel off tape wearing those awful gloves.

Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

Print quality is really important. You can have a dynamite image and if the print quality isn't outstanding, it will count against you. It's a bummer that the prints for comp have to be so dark and glossy. It really makes them unsuitable for display, so it's important to get feedback before you spend all the money for a comp print. Also, if possible, work with a lab that specializes in comp prints--and send it back if it's not right--or get a test print before the big one.
    Be really careful with that sharpie when you blacken edges--you need a steady hand.
    One comment I got recently on a local level was "it's over-presented." In otherwords don't add too many creative effects unless they really add to the image.

Quote Originally Posted by Auralee Dallas View Post
    One comment I got recently on a local level was "it's over-presented." In otherwords don't add too many creative effects unless they really add to the image.
    Yeah - I call it razzle dazzle
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

Has anyone tried the WHCC "competition print" service?
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP

Kirk,
    All my prints have been from WHCC.
    Jeff
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

Not yet, but I plan to for this year's convention.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

But Jeff, you said Holly and Keith said your prints were too light. Do ask WHCC to print "competition density?"

Ahhh!
    Competition Density. Now that would be a term I learned about after my regionals. No with WHCC you give them a file, and they will print it, and mount it, and black out the edges on a darker presentation. I need to print my images down at least 10% in the future. Now I know there are labs who will do all kinds of work to your image, but at only $25 a print, I will take the risk, and own the densities. It may not work for all, but I usally print 7 prints for state, and at least 5 for national. This way I can send an alternate in case something happens.
    Jeff
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

I don't care for competition density either. I always instruct my lab to not print down that much and even then I think it's too much sometimes. In fact, I even think "competition density" ruined my images chances in some cases. They looked muddy and too dark.....but I'm not a judge either.