Comments please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comments please

1. Default Comments please

Thought I would throw another one out and see what kind of reaction it gets. I am really enjoying the thread Jeff started with the competition prints, it gives you an idea what you have to shoot for. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Chris,
    Not sure about the presentation, but one thing that struck me right away that i feel would improve this image, is to elevate the baby so she is not casting a shadow right next to her. Maybe a block, or a 2x6 placed under her would lift her off the "background" a bit.
    Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

3. Default

I like it, but it needs to move to the upper right instead of lower right of the step mount. Also, anything I say needs to be taken with a major grain of salt as I am a rookie at this!

Consider picking up a color from the flower petals for your stroke line. Some say (Holly!) a mottled background color/texture detracts from the image. After thinking about that, I would have to agree, although I kinda do like the look here.

Ok, I gonna say this won't break 80, but I know nothing! It definitely has the "awh, how cute!" factor, but that may not be enough of an impact for a panel of judges who have seen their fair share of cute babies.

I am pretty sure the one image I plan to enter this year of a baby's foot will fall in that same category. :-(

I think the image needs a stroke around it to keep it from looking like it was just slapped on the mat. The flat lighting might be too much to overcome.

5. Default

Jeff n John appreciate the comments. Jeff, I don't think I could keep the baby feeling secure and asleep by putting it up on a block or a 2 by 6, but I see what you mean about the shadow. If I remember correctly I only used 1 light for this, I should have thrown in a reflector to fill the shadow side and maybe that would have remedied that issue. This is why I'm posting these images you all are able to "see" things that I can't....yet.

Thanks

6. Default

Dave,

It actually has a stroke, it's hard to see. I picked out a green from one of the leaves. Concerning the flat lighting, how would you light this particular image? Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padgett View Post
    Jeff n John appreciate the comments. Jeff, I don't think I could keep the baby feeling secure and asleep by putting it up on a block or a 2 by 6, but I see what you mean about the shadow. If I remember correctly I only used 1 light for this, I should have thrown in a reflector to fill the shadow side and maybe that would have remedied that issue. This is why I'm posting these images you all are able to "see" things that I can't....yet.

Thanks
    Chris,
    You know better than I do, as I was not there. I have had my images looked at by a lot of folks, and the two things that help me the most is "Next time", and "when you have this file open again, try to doge here, or crop this etc" I found that when I start thinking about the suggestions for next time, I start putting them into practice this time.
    Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

8. Default

That's the whole idea Jeff, learn from your "mistakes". I know the step mount is off on this one, but see if you like it any better.

Thanks for taking the time.

Dave,

It actually has a stroke, it's hard to see. I picked out a green from one of the leaves. Concerning the flat lighting, how would you light this particular image? Thanks for the comments.
    I'm talking about an additional stroke 1/4 inch from the one you have, on the brown mat, same width as the one you have. How would I light it? ..probably with great difficulty , but I still think it needs some directionality(because the judges will be looking for it ).

That's the whole idea Jeff, learn from your "mistakes". I know the step mount is off on this one, but see if you like it any better.

Thanks for taking the time.

Might not bother others, but I don't care for a white stroke...too strong of a pull on the eye.