Print comp worthy?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Print comp worthy?

I have been afraid to post images in which I am thinking about for competition publically partly because I lack confidence, but also because I was thinking it probably wasn't a good idea to give them exposure to potential judges for PPO Mid East.

Screw it ... here are a couple I am considering. Let me know your thoughts ...

And a big thanks to Holly/Keith, D. Craig for providing me input via email on some others.

Default Title idea ..

Hi John;

I have a title idea for the top image ... "Confused" . I remember back in the 60's people talking about smoking banana peels but I never knew anyone to eat the peel. *S*

You could call the first image "Chiquita"...get it? Or am I just old?
    Lori Clapp
    www.amomentintime2.com
    Will I EVER know how to use what I learn?

Default Title idea ..

Hi John;

I have a title idea for the top image ... "Confused" . I remember back in the 60's people talking about smoking banana peels but I never knew anyone to eat the peel. *S*

Here is my version of Confused:

Craig - you're stuttering...
    Lori Clapp
    www.amomentintime2.com
    Will I EVER know how to use what I learn?

Default Just old ...

Hi Lori ;

I am just old ! *S* Wait till you are 59 yrs. old.

7. Default

Here's another one I am considering for Mid East Print Comp ... thanks to Holly/Keith and D Craig for their insights on this one already. Based on their input, this is what I came up with. Let me know if you like it at all for print comp ... thanks!

My thoughts thus far on a title is "Perspective".

I think I would prefer a solid mat. To me the mottled background is distracting.

Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Howe View Post
    I think I would prefer a solid mat. To me the mottled background is distracting.

Holly
    Thanks Holly. When I tried the solid black, it felt awefully "heavy" ... do you think a dark/med grey solid mat would do the trick, or if I only had an ever-so-slight mottled background?

Keith and I played with this. Why do you want the mottling? Just to keep it from looking heavy? To us - a mottled mat draws you eye away from the actual image. You may feel differently and have to decide for yourself. Also there is a heavy vignette or burning in all corners of this image. By having this lighter color for the background - that corner burning (keyholing) becomes more obvious. We feel the background should be as dark or darker than darkest area in the four corners (on this particular print). So we like a very dark charcoal or even true black. If the image has no TRUE blacks anywhere in it - then you probably will want to go with a charcoal as a black background would emphasize the lack of true black in the image. As a general rule all backgrounds should be as simple as possible - so as not to ever draw the eye away from the image.

Holly - with Keith's input (Yes I do ocassionally let him have a say)
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com