critique a couple more please?...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default critique a couple more please?...

title ideas welcome,too ...

I was thinking of titling this one "Anticipation":

thank you!
    Cassandra Sullivan, CPP
    Massachusetts CPP Liason

Cassandra's Photography
    Here & There - The Blog
    "If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse."

IF - the image is crisp and sharp all the way through and IF the colors are as saturated and rich as they appear and the black is truly black and not cyan cast - there is not a doubt in my mind that this image will merit. I would change where the pinstripe border falls and and where the flower is positioned on the board like I show below. Your version seems a little cramped IMO. Title suggestion "Exotic Beauty" As I have said before - I personally like titles that suggest one thing but really mean another - as long as it's readily obvious and not just confusing. Exotic Beauty suggests some gorgeous ethnic woman - so I like that a tropical flower instead would be a little bit unexpected when hearing that title.

Holly

Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

I think the water drop also has potential - it needs more contrast on the black end - watch out on the white end - you don't wanna blow out. On this low res file it appears the leading edge of the leaf and the water drop are soft. If that is the case it will kill it. I don't mind the narrow depth of field for this image - but the drop and leading edge of the leaf needs to be tack sharp for this to go. I would also suggest cropping off a little from the bottom and repositioning to get the droplet at the thirds like I show in this quick job below. I haven't adjusted any contrast levels on this version.
    Holly
    www.1224artdolls.com

Default My version ...

Hi Cassandra;

Here is my entry : I used a green accent line rather than purple. I felt that by using green it forces the eyes into the flower immediately. Using a purple accent line repeats a color in the flower and keeps the eyes out there a second too long. I also took off the corners for a different kind of crop to go along with the way the flowers were slanted.

Default Drips ...

Hi Cassandra;

My version features a background with drops ... all in black and white. I titled mine "Drip Drop".

6. Default Cassandra

I am not qualified to state wether these images would merit or not, but I love the Passion Flower image. I would consider using the word passion in the title, only problem being the judges may not recognize what type of flower it is. On your second image I would consider moving it to the upper left quadrant which would give the drop more room to.....well drop. Take it for what it's worth and that's not a whole lot.

Hi Cassandra,

I agree with Chris. I did not know what kind of flower it is, but when Chris said it is a Passion Flower, my mind immediately went to Passionate Beauty. Then read the rest of what was written. Makes sense

Beautiful by the way.

Tiffany

www.picturesattiffanys.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padgett View Post
    I I love the Passion Flower image. I would consider using the word passion in the title, only problem being the judges may not recognize what type of flower it is. .

I agree - many judges would not know that is a passion flower - in fact I knew what it was but the name escaped me - until you said Passion flower - then I remembered.

IMO - this is a print that does not need a great title to sell the image. And unless the title is truly terrible and unfitting - I don't think a weak title will hurt. So Pasionate Beauty - Exotic Beauty - oe whatever else you come up with - I think it will be fine.

Holly
    www.1224artdolls.com

Default Thank you

Thanks everyone! I value all your opinions. Gives me lots to think about.

As for the water drop image - does anyone get the title "Anticipation" - in reference to the ketchup commercial with Carly Simon singing 'Anticipation' in the background? Or should i go with something like 'drip' or 'drop'? I hate titles...
    Cassandra Sullivan, CPP
    Massachusetts CPP Liason

Cassandra's Photography
    Here & There - The Blog
    "If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse."

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra Sullivan View Post
    As for the water drop image - does anyone get the title "Anticipation" - in reference to the ketchup commercial with Carly Simon singing 'Anticipation' in the background? Or should i go with something like 'drip' or 'drop'? I hate titles...
    I got the Anticipation - not bad. I don't know, "Dewpoint" maybe? or is that not a comman phrase heard in weather reports in other parts of the country?

Holly
    www.1224artdolls.com