Critique, please. Really.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Critique, please. Really.

All right. With a newly informed understanding of how critique works here on the forum, I will try again. Thank you for any comments.

Outstanding attitude, Sue Ellen!

As for critique, I am not one to give an in depth critique but wonder about the 'fogginess' of the gentleman's glasses. That could be fixed easily.
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

HI Sue Ellen,
    As this is in the comp section, I will give you my thoughts as a comp print.

I love the expression of the girl. THis look is a personal taste for me, but many of my portraits have this, and her eyes look great. The fogginess was already mentioned, but I think why the judges would hold this back fro the 80+ arena is the clothing choice. Her dress, a pattern combined with his solid, a bright color make the eyes do a dance on the bottom of the frame. Also I find his eye cut a lot towards the girl. I know this is probably intentional, but the judges might not see it that way. Another problem is the lighting on dads? face. It is flat and non directional, which is not really the case on her. I think an image of just her in a less busy dress would have a better chance. Keep them coming!
    Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

Default ??

Jeff,

A learning question here:

If the clothes were right and the lighting not bad, would a title save this one with the man looking in that direction? I've seen images with this mood and the title would make it relate and be acceptable.

I attended a seminar in Oklahoma where Dave Swoboda spoke on Comp prints and recommended using the name to bring attention to the negative, therefor making it a positive.

Thoughts?
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

Hi Linda,
    Looking at the image Sue Ellen reposted in mono, has brought out another issue with the image. Now that the clothes are not as much an issue of color, my personal problem is that the heads are parallel to each other.

To answer your question, I have seen images with a good title hang, that might not if the title didn't work. If you can get the judges to laugh, you are usually in the range of a hangable image. I think this image just would not hang. On a state level it would probably score a 77, and would not go blue at national level. I know it is hard. When I watch judging I can pick the score within a point on over 90% of the imges....unless they are mine.

Dave Swoboda says that impact is first, and this image has impact, in the girls eyes and expression, but in my opinion it does not have enough for the judges to overlook the other points. Keep going though Sue Ellen!
    Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

Sue Ellen,

For me, the subject here to focus on is the girl. Grandad is actually more of a distraction than a help in a storytelling capacity. But, man! Do you have a great subject in the girl! Do you have any images that just feature her?

E.

Hi Sue Ellen - I am not a good judge for print competition critiques but I will offer you some advice on B&W conversions.

Often when we simply Desaturate a file ( to me it looks like that is what you did here ) we end up with a dull - flat looking print. The reason is when in color we see color - the color separates the different elements from each other and makes a distinction. Once the color information is no longer there - if you had two different colors that were the exact shade and density when converted they will appear as a single shade of gray....thats how you loose alot of detail.

What I do is convert using my Gradient map set to pure Black and White. Then if I need to lighten the skin tones more I go to curves and just pull up on the light side of the scale until I get the look I want.

I did this for you to compare. Hope this helps.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Jane Ann