Your best of learning at Imaging USA 2007

Default Your best of learning at Imaging USA 2007

Good morning everyone,

I wasn't at the 2007 Imaging USA but was at the 2005 and 2006.

What did you find to be the best learning? Who's classes did you come out of with that "I'm really excited about this" info? A two or three sentence description to share with the people who couldn't attend or the people who didn't go to that particular class itself would be very nice. It could help people decide for future training opportunities. Thanks and take care, Lois

If I had to pick one... I guess I am obligated to go with Helen Yancy because it inspired me enough to pick up the Wacom and Painter... something I had been hesitant to do. And I have already submitted several to the lab. Great idea for increasing sales if I can get it down. But I think lots of people already do this, I was hesistant and thought I couldn't possibly. She inspired me to try it.

I was not familiar with Joe Craig, but attended his presentation. There were not many dry eyes in that room. More emotion than technique, but a powerful experience.

My wife and I have a tendency to enjoy the programs that others don't understand. This seems to give us the edge in incorporating ideas in our studio.

Leslie says that the Rainville/Hudson program was outstanding. Many of the photographers there "didn't get it". We've been utilizing the commission idea for some time now, and their program affimed that we are on the right track.

Duane Sauro showed the limitless possibilities in the art of photography. He's been a pioneer of the surreal for the last 20+ years, and it was great to see what he's now doing.

Angela Carson was amazing. First and formost in my mind is that "other photographers don't steal your clients away from you....It's you who loses them".

That will be our mantra for this year!

Michael
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gan View Post
    the Rainville/Hudson program was outstanding. Many of the photographers there "didn't get it". Michael
    YES, Arthur Rainville is a real "kick"; my avatar now is a very reduced version of a portrait he created of me five years ago, converted to b/w. I use it in color on my business card. Clients love it. Arthur is so creative; I was in front of plain background on a plain chair backwards.

If I can take home one tenth of what Julianne Kost says, I am lucky. Repitition is the key; I'd go to her programs in a heartbeat. PS shortcuts and lightroom.

I also enjoyed Jeff Shewe about b/w conversions. I had seen him before also.

I liked Jack's program, but anticipated more - I'm not sure what! BUT!!!!

My initial comments, George
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

I had thought I would learn a lot about my business. Instead I took home some inspiration from Gregory Hesilser, and Jay Maisal. Two unbelievable imagers!
    Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

Thanks for everyone that has shared thus far. Eagerly awaiting additional comments. Take care, Lois

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dachowski View Post
    I had thought I would learn a lot about my business. Instead I took home some inspiration from Gregory Hesilser, and Jay Maisal. Two unbelievable imagers!
    Jeff
    Jeff,

I am envious: I wanted to see both, but was distracted. I have seen Jay Maisel several times, and even chatted one-on-one with him when he was doing book signing when at Imaging he was given lifetime achievement. There was no one in line behind us for a long time; my lady had a lot in common with him, that her late dad's company was partners with several other contractors in construction of the dams holding back Hudson River & basements of Trade Center Buildings. We bought three of Jay's books. He's a character to say the least.

George
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

I learned some new things to from Robert T Williams. For the most part, he validated many of the thoughts and plans I had for the coming year.

Joe Bussink got me thinking about my approach to my relationships with my clients and how to improve them to get better emotion from the clients.

I spent a lot of time at the trade show learning a thing or two.
    Regards,
    Howard Kier, CPP Weddings, ABI, MBA and DAD
    Magical Moments Photography

Thanks so much to the people sharing so far. We're looking forward to hearing more! Take care, Lois