print for competition
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default print for competition

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...9-4bwemail.jpg

I have some concerns about this print mostly her left hand. I need a name for this image. I would appreciate some feed back.
    Thanks in advance
    Rick
    Richard J. Carpenter, Master Photographer, Cr. CPP
    www.judsonrickphotography.com

Default Ideas and suggestions

Hi Rick;

My first problem is the size. You need to enter it as a 16" X 20" presentation. Some of the top needs to be cropped off. Next, your accent line takes too much away from her. There is a pipe running vertically up the wall ... a leading line taking the viewers eyes away from her. It needs a bit more contrast. The background layer needs to be a deep grey rather than black.

Here is my version ... I hope it helps.

Here is my first take on the image... I like the title "light industrial"

And on second, my title would be "blue day" I added a step mount to it

Default Titles

Hi Ron;

I also use Photobucket. Instead of embedding the path in your posts, just click Copy, in Photobucket, in IMG Code. Then when you post your message click Paste.

How about a title of "Sassy" ?

I like Flory's take on the image. Mine was a bit sloppy...kinda busy today.

Craig and Will,
    Thanks for the suggestions, I liked the idea of fliping the image. I now have a leading line of the pipe that takes you to the girl, I toned down the vertical pipe on the wall. I have a thing for long skinny prints, do you think it really needs to be on a 16x20 canvas? Thanks for telling me how to post the file from photobucket. Thanks Rick

Default Unless ...

Hi Rick;

Unless you are a Master, you must submit images on a 16" X 20" OR 20" X 16" board. That goes for PPA, Regionals, State groups, and most sub state groups. Once you get Master of Photography you can use other sizes.

Craig,
    Yes I am, with that in mind do you prefer the skinny image or larger canvas?
    Not sure if this is the correct forum, would you post how you select a portion of a image and make the underlayments. It really seems to improve the images.
    Rick

I suspect D. Craig missed that you are a M.Photog. and don't have to present as a 16x20. I like this print very much. There are a couple little things I would tweak from the way you presented it. I would move the image to the right on the background - wider border left, narrower on right. That would get the girl a little farther away from centered. I would make the background a few shades darker - like one of the darker grays in the image. I would tone down her hands a little more. The hands are not posed bad but you are seeing quite a bit of the backside of her hands. Toning them down a little would make that less noticable. Also - while I would not do this on a customers print - for competition I would slim down her right (left as viewed) hip just a litlle. First try burning it down a bit.

I like Will's Title of "Light Industrial" It gives a reason for this girl to be in a deserted factory. Plus I am always partial to titles that suggest one thing but then really refer to something else. As long as they aren't truly confusing!

Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

oops! I was typing while you and D. Craig were discussing the Master's thing. I also forgot to say I agree on the flipping.

Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com