How Did You Get Home From Image....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Schaumburg (Chicago 'burb), Illinois

    Default How Did You Get Home From Image....

    or are you still stranded in San Antonio?

    I went to bed Tuesday night knowing the Wednesday morning flights were cancelled. I thought the problems were icy runways and that by the time of my scheduled departure, 1:30 PM, I would be ok. Little did I realize the airport had run out of de-icing fluid! When I awoke Wednesday morning, I checked my voice mail and discovered my flight was cancelled! United informed me they could not get me a seat out until Saturday.

    At first I was going to drive to Austin and catch a flight there. However, I was told Austin had the same problems. Then I decided, I would just continue onto Dallas. Oops, the overpasses on the way to Dallas were closed. I was just about ready to give up when I saw a report on the weather channel from the San Antonio airport. SouthWest Airlines was flying! I checked their schedule on-line and saw they had cancelled only 1 flight. I was confused as to why this might be but decided to call them. I was able to book a flight from San Antonio to Dallas.

    I arrived in Dallas at 5:15, just a little too late to get from Love field to DFW to catch a 6:00PM United flight to Chicago. I called some friends, had a relaxing evening and then caught a 9:45AM flight home.
    Howard Kier, CPP Weddings, ABI, MBA and DAD
    Magical Moments Photography

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Bloomington, IL


    Howard K,

    I hate to tell you this, but my 3:15 flight on Wednesday to St. Louis was only delayed. I arrived in St. Louis about 9 pm, then drove to Bloomington-Normal (that would have gotten you almost home!). The flight was only 1/2 full.
    Jackie Haggerty
    M.Photog.Cr., CPP

    I have come to accept the feeling of not knowing where I am going. And I have trained myself to love it. Because it is only when we are suspended in mid-air with no landing in sight, that we force our wings to unravel and alas begin our flight. And as we fly, we still may not know where we are going to. But the miracle is in the unfolding of the wings. You may not know where you're going, but you know that so long as you spread your wings, the winds will carry you.

    ― C. JoyBell C.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    New Jersey


    i was one of the lucky ones.

    my 12:50 flight was only about 2 hours delayed.


  4. #4


    I hung around my hotel Wednesday morning until most of the ice was off my car then headed north about 1:00 p.m. I arrived in Denton (north of DFW) a little before 6:00 p.m. Drove at or near posted speed limits most of the way. I had no problems, but there were a couple of wreck sites still clearing from early Wednesday morning. Great to meet some of you.
    Don Barnes
    The Photographers

    The Titanic was built by Professionals,
    The Ark by Amateurs.

  5. #5


    Same story... Wednesday flight cancelled; stayed an extra day in SA & flew home yesterday.

    Great convention... I only wish I had met more of the ourPPA people!

  6. #6


    How I got Home
    By Linda Gregory

    I slid out the door to my car, greatly distressed that once again, I'd forgotten deicer for the parking lot and started my little Olds Cutlass convertible (top UP!) and grabbed the ice chipper. Hammered at the ice long enough, it gave in so I could then use my windshield wipers and headed the beast home.

    I avoided our frozen flyover (think a messy, drawn out Dallas High Five) and took the long, scenic route home. I made it just fine, thank you.

    Then the drama started. I got out of the car and headed on foot up the incline to my front door. I didn't make it. I actually made part of the journey rather fast but then came to a complete halt as I reached the bottom of the incline...on my elbow and bottom area. *sigh* I can still type, I can still do artwork and I can still use the fork!

    Oh, you mean, home from Imaging? I didn't get to go.

    Sorry for all of you that were stranded there, did anyone check train schedules?
    Linda Gregory

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Fort Worth, Texas


    I had planned to leave for Fort Worth tues evening and stay overnight in San Marcus but it didn't work out that way. Left Wed at noon and had a "tense" trip but got into FW at about 5:30 just before the hwys started re-freezing.
    Dave Cisco M.Photog, Cr., CPP, F-TPPA

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Central New Hampshire


    Friends on Northwest did not fly Wednesday.
    My scheduled Continental flight at 10:50, left maybe half hour delayed, on Wednesday. Houston change was rushed but fine, changed in Detroit. My car at Manchester NH airport was frozen in with half inch ICE. With temp at 5 degrees, it took 40 minutes to defrost windshield. YES, FIVE DEGREES.
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    North Platte, NE


    Sorry to hear of the stress related to your return home. I swore I would never fly United again. Customer service is NOT in thier vocabulary! I was checking on my flight for wensday on tuesday and they told me that my flight had been canceled days ago (would have been nice if they would have notified me, still no emails or calls) not because of weather, just because. So they put us on a 6:38pm flight. No they would not look a changeing to an earlier flight. So we went to the airport earily and I went to the counter 5 (coount them, 5) times to check on changing flights. The attendants were rude and wouldn't think of checking into the possibility. Here is the kicker for Howard. The 2nd time I checked they said "I can't deal with you now I'm working on the Chicago flight". Sorry to tell you this Howard but it was a straight through flight and only half full! Left about 2:00pm.
    The end result of our attempt to change to a earilier flight was that they never called our name (how could they, they never gave me an oppertunity to put my name on the list). The flight was not full, at the gate they started asking if anyone wanted the last 8 seats, but you couldn't have checked bags if you wanted to change to this flight. One lady just went and figured they would find out about the bags later. It pulled away from the gate a half hour late.
    We went on the 6:38 flight, arrived in denver at 8:00 MT, pulled out with our baggage from the parking at 9:15 and drove to North Platte. We arrived home at 2:00am Thursday and up by 7:00am. Started our day with 4+ hours of sleep. Wide awake and ready to implement all those ideas and plans from conference. . . OK maybe not. Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

  10. #10


    I pretty much hung out at the airport from about 7:30am on Wed for a 10:35 flight that was cancelled. I rerouted through Chicago instead of DFW at 2 and was fine. I got home Wednesday night about midnight. Southwest and Continental seemed to be taking off... but not American. Ugh... There were 40 people on standby for the flight I got on... only 2 or 3 of us made it. I hear it continued to be bad. Hugs to everyone that was hanging out in the Mexican joint at terminal 2 that didn't make it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Live Chat is closed