Certification Change for Masters ...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Certification Change for Masters ...

I was just told, this afternoon, that what I heard a rumor of back in October has been passed. Photographers going for Master of Photography no longer have to first get certified. I think it's a travesty and a big mistake. I apprenticed, with a Master, back in the early 70's. He got his degree in 1965 and by 1970 was no longer competing. His work had stagnated and no new ideas or styles were being added. I feel that is the result we can look for now ... photographers getting the degree and stagnating. With the C.P.P. requirement, chances are they would keep that up and keep active in competition.

So, to all the PPA Council Members I say Big Mistake !!!

Default well....

"So, to all the PPA Council Members I say Big Mistake !!!"

D. Craig, I respectfully disagree. Connecting the CPP to the Masters never made sense to me. If someone wants to "keep current", that's their choice. They need to keep current because they want to, not by forcing them with certification. It's a move in the right direction, IMHO.....

What are the other reasons for keeping the two connected, other than motivation to keep current which I'm not sure I understand the connection there?

The Masters and certification are two entirely separate things. One is a marketing vehicle for your business and the other is of personal acheivement. Certitfication is now an independent organization and is only tied to PPA as part of the PPA umbrella. Also, it was thought, at the time that in order to get certification off the ground, tying it to the master degree would help the program along.

Now, certification is so strong, it is an entitity all its own, so council felt it was time to let the baby go fly from the nest. However, it has been left open ended to still have an exam for techincal competance to complete the degree.

We have been suffering from a shortage of Masters in recent years, and, in my opinion, we need to restrengthen the Masters program in order to improve the quality of work amonst all professionals.

This was passed yesterday.

Michael
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Auralee Dallas View Post
    What are the other reasons for keeping the two connected, other than motivation to keep current which I'm not sure I understand the connection there?
    Hi Auralee
    Certified Professional Photographers must Re-Certify every five years. In order to pass the re-certification one must provide a list of classes that they have attended. If one has not attended enough classes then they must also re-submit a portfolio of twenty images done for clients over the previous two years from their re-certification date. Or re-take the exam. It's all outlined more clearly in the certification section of the PPA web site. In my case I had to submit prints because I only had 13 of the 20 educational (credits) needed to avoid re-submission. That was in 2003. I'm up for review again in 2008. So the idea is by requiring a certified to attend classes and/or show the certification council their recent client work or retake the exam it forces certifieds to stay current. Print merits don't count towards certification because as Michael said it's a whole different ball of wax. But even though the print merits themselves don't count towards certification the images would make perfect submissions as long as it is client work. When I re-submitted in 2003 they wanted to know when, who and what the job was for each image. The submissions aren't judged like print comp, the twenty prints are looked at as a body of work not individually and the score doesn't have to be 80 or above on each individual print. Some of this may be off here and there. For the best explaination check the web site.

David, I pretty much understand all the criteria around certification. I just didn't understand why PPA felt that you needed to be first certified before you could become a master. Apparently at one time you did not, then you did, and now again you do not.
    I think it's ok for them to be separate, but I'm sure there is a variety of opinions and valid reasons for both.

Sorry Auralee
    I don't know why it keeps swinging back and forth. Seems to always catch me going the other direction what ever the reasons may be. I started pursuing my Masters before I had ever heard of Certification. Then the requirements changed so I became Certified. Now it's back to where it was but with my luck if I ever get the 13 print merits I need it sounds like I'll need to pass another exam to get my Masters. I'm sure there are several of us in the same boat.....It's that whole generation X thing. Our timing has been off since birth. If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger.

Default Thoughts from Jack later this week

Hi group;

Jack told me he will be back as of Thursday and will post a comment on this. I'm anxious to see what he says since he takes over as PPA prez as of March.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Craig Flory View Post
    photographers getting the degree and stagnating. With the C.P.P. requirement, chances are they would keep that up and keep active in competition.
    D. Craig - with all respect that's untrue. There are so many levels above Master's to keep a photographer challenged. CPP level of accdeptance for prints is below that of a merit image. So saying that a person who has earned a degree with a min. 13 merit level images would continue to be motivated by having to resubmit images every 5 years - that are not required to be merit level - doesn't make sense to me. Also - once you achieved master's degree - you DID NOT have to keep the certification designation to keep the degree. I am an example of that. There has been in the past a large percentage of people who have done as I did - just let it run out. So how is being certified going to keep the master's motivated?

If your big concern is keeping Master's motivated then you should be comforted with the Imaging Excellance Awards ( 13 loan images) and the Photographer of the Year Awards. Those two programs offer continuing levels of achievement for current Master's.

Micheal mentioned the possibility of an exam for Master's degree. Keith asked me to clarify his comment in case anyone misunderstood. As it was passed in council there currently is NO exam requirment. It would take another vote by council next year to change the bylaws again and add an exam requirment.

Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

Default I agree.....

Quote Originally Posted by D. Craig Flory View Post
    I think it's a travesty and a big mistake.

I tried to get this discussion going last fall before the vote.. couldn't get anybody too excited about it then...

I don't care that one program is for marketing one is for peer recognition. My point is that someone calling themselves a "master" can now become one without even knowing what the inverse square law is/was.

But why try to beat that dead horse any deaderer, just accept that those in the majority voted it this way.
    Don
    M.Photog., Cr., CPP, D.C.Ph.

www.donchick.com