Cpmpetition disasters

Default Cpmpetition disasters

Robin's question about the scratch got me to thinking. I bet most of us have horror stories of getting prints ready for competition. Might be fun to hear some of them.

Anybody here know Dave Svoboda? Good friend of mine. Anyway - one time we were at his place when he was spraying up prints. He had one print sprayed so heavy the emulsion actually lifted and "floated" free of the paper backing. Can't remember if he reprinted or got it fixed somehow. Our worst stories are the time Keith left one of my prints setting on the 36" blade paper paper cutter - with the blade up - blade fell and cut a triangle off the corner of my print. Then there is the 1 1/4" long scar on my forearm - we were packing up prints and Keith accidently got me with a box knife. Then there was the year when our lab got a bad batch of spray. all our prints turned bright yellow - and they were all high key prints that year. Course the spray didn't yellow until after we had sent the case off. And of course we all remember driving to the competitions with the cases open to let spray cure. So what horror stories do you have?

Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Howe View Post
    And of course we all remember driving to the competitions with the cases open to let spray cure. So what horror stories do you have?

Holly
    with the windows down of course

So many stories...so little time.

Good thread Holly!
    I remember when my old boss would do his competition prints. He did all the printing in the darkroom himself, did all the step mounting himself plus all the spraying. I would work from 9-5 on the clock, then come back after dinner and help him until 2 or 3 am off the clock just for the experience. It always seemed like his best work happened about four hours before they had to be shipped.

We had a UPS driver give us trouble over a wedding album shipment the week before competition. We made some phone calls and he got in trouble. The following week we went to ship the print case, guess who was behind the counter... yep, turns out MR. UPS driver was also a supervisor of some type. He refused to ship the package the way we had it packed. So I got to drive to Columbus the next day... about 9 hours roundtrip. All just to walk into the hotel lobby and say "Here."
    Dan Leary, CPP

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to stop and reconsider - Mark Twain

www.learyweddings.com
    www.dmaxphotography.com

I had a lab "try out" a new pressure mount system one year and everything was fine until the prints stood on end in the racks overnight. The next morning all my prints were curled up on the floor. The only thing left on the racks were the black boards and the gold corners. It was very abstract.

Since last year was the first year I entered my own prints, things went fairly smooth after the selection process was finished (nightmare of so many years of photography being narrowed down).

My nightmares of convention printing comes from working in the lab...and for only 6 years!! Of course, I only did the digital work, others did the finishing at the former lab so I got to work closely with the photographers to get Just What They Wanted. I love us...we are visual people, not always verbal.

We use X brand of paper, a local photographer prefers Y. They were desperate to get their convention print finishes and their lab no longer does it so they brought them to us. (Regional convention) We discussed it, how we can't guarantee when it's not printed by us. (if we were to get dust in the high gloss, we reprint it, the customer isn't brought into the conversation) Well, sure enough, there was a problem. We offered to reprint it but no, not with THAT paper. We were sorry, didn't charge her for that one, of course but the other three were great.

She won a gift certificate from us along the way and used it for the international competition. Same image, but we saw some issues and contacted her, she had us take care of it we printed and put on the finish. She loved it and it will be in the showcase book.

As a lab, I LOVE convention printing time! All the stress is hard but the creative energy is invigorating!
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Lottes View Post
    I had a lab "try out" a new pressure mount system one year and everything was fine until the prints stood on end in the racks overnight. The next morning all my prints were curled up on the floor. The only thing left on the racks were the black boards and the gold corners. It was very abstract.
    See! We told you people! It's the new innovative stuff that does well! Next year everybody is gonna enter removable . . . ur . . . repositionable . . . uh . . . twist-o-flex! prints.

Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

Default Dirt and grit ...

Good thread Holly !;

It's good to face your fears ! With that said ... here's one. You have just made the 5th coat of high gloss spray on a hi-key after waiting the required amount of time between coats. After waiting till that coat "cured" you view it under Photogenic Mini-spots and ... there it is !!! You managed to trap some grit under the spray that you only now see under the same strong lights used in competition. I'm sure I just dredged up some unpleasant memories. LOL How about in between coats, in the same situation ... using the tip of an Exacto Knife to lift off a bit of dust or grit that happened to settle on the print in the spray booth ? At this point, those that have been through this are all shuddering under the memories.

I served on state print committee many years and remember getting high from all those prints drying on the way to the competition. But the best (or worst *S*) stories I've ever heard are of photographers spraying prints in another room right before the competition started ! That's from a while back at PPA competition.