Requesting feedback for print competition images (first time!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Requesting feedback for print competition images (first time!)

Hi everyone,

I am working some images for our local salon in February and would love some feedback. Is this image strong enough to merit? If so, what could be done to improve?

Also, any great names would be appreciated!

This is the first one. Hope the link works...

Thanks!

Jen

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...mcomp2ver2.jpg

I'm not qualified for print competition, but I thought I would share what I see.

I think the woman has a beautiful face and you've captured that nicely. The thing I notice is the white of her dress on the left. It keeps pulling my eyes from the woman's face to the white area. Perhaps dodge that a little in PS to help divert attention back to her face.

My thoughts, for what they are worth.

Good luck!

There are other more qualified people to help you out but I also see an issue with the white that Debra is talking about, I also feel the whites of her eyes are unnaturally white. It's one thing to enhance the whites of the eyes but to make them totally white is easier than making them look real. Sandwich this one over the original and take the opacity down so you can see some texture/color in the whites, see if you like it better.
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

Very nice image Jennifer! I agree with Debra that you need to town down the white area.
    In addition, a few things that may help a bit are: take out the white spot on her lip.
    Take the whole image and tip it to the left a little so her eyes are on a 45 degree angle instead of on a horizontal plane. You may even crop in a little tighter to emphasize her beautiful eyes and expression (plus, that eliminates some of the white).

Smooth her skin with a slight gaussian blur.

lastly, darken the mat, add a stroke that matches her skin tone and move her up so her eyes are above the middle point of the board.

Hope this helps.

David
    David M. Deutsch, M.Photog.Cr., PPA Certified
    Website Blog Sr Portraits

Something looks a little overworked about her top lip - you've lost the roundness - it looks flat.

I will tell you it is extremely difficult to merit a simple h&s portrait. Because it is a very comman subject - it's difficult to create impact. The subject matter and the treatment need to be exceptionable.

Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

Default Thanks for feedback

Thanks for the feedback. I am worried that it won't merit b/c I have heard it is hard to merit a portrait. All the comments were helpful. FYI, I have done nothing to the whites of her eyes. Hmmmmm...

Jennnifer-

If you edit your reply to put the URL in {img} {/img} tags (replacing the curly braces with square brackets), your image will show up in your reply rather than as a link (like David's did, above.)
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Hi Jennifer,

I started out thinking that the white on the left and lighter area on the left above her hair would be better cropped, but after looking a little longer, I decided to tone done that area instead.

Robin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Robin Arkenberg
    Robin's Photography

robin@RobinsPhotography.com
    Louisville, KY

Default Good points all ...

You have been given a lot of good points. It is hard to get a good score on a head & shoulders portrait. Why ? One of the biggest rules, to meet, of the Dirty Dozen is Impact. A simple H&S just can't generate enough impact. When you are a judge, the higher you go, the more prints you will see. So you need an image that will knock their socks off.

With that said, I'm not crazy about the canvas color selected. I'm posting my version and hope in some small way it helps you.

Default Thanks for feedback

Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll either rework or give it up since it's hard to merit this type of image.