"Puff of Pollution"
    Robin Arkenberg
    Robin's Photography

robin@RobinsPhotography.com
    Louisville, KY

Three Stacks
    Power's Price
    Fossil Fueled
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

"Plumes"

Very simple, and it doesn't direct the judges towards or against any sort of environmental statement. Let the image speak for itself. If the title is needed to get your point across then perhaps the image isn't portraying what you are trying to say with your photo. Just my two cents worth...

Robin, I would refrain from entering this image in the commercial division on the national level. A true commercial panel is comprised of all commercial jurors. Their thought process tends to lean toward the technical side of an image. Unless this image is tack sharp,top to bottom, side to side, it will not score well. It's difficult to tell for sure due to resolution but it would appear to be soft at the top.
    An illustrative panel is comprised of a mixture of commercial and portrait photographers and tends to lean toward the emotional impact of an image.
    The emotion of a portait juror can often be swayed by an excellent title.

There is usually less than a second between the reading of a title and the presentation of an image. In that split second you must capture the judges imagination. Just like the fanfare played before the entrance of a dignitary or the overature played by the orchestra before the curtain rises on the play, your title will set the mood.

The overall tone or mood of your image is dark with the three puffs of smoke providing the point of contrast to attract the eye. My first tendency is to make the title dark.

A couple of safe (unimaginative titles) could be:
    1. Columns of Power
    2. Sirens of the Grid
    3. Towers of Powers
    4 Megawatt Sentries

With a little more imagination....
    1. Born by the water, blowen by the wind
    2. Smoke'm if you gote'm
    3. #2 ... did you inhale?
    4. Power Planting for the Future

And finally, I don't know if it's the hour of the evening, or the glass of wine, but I swear I can see three faces hidden in the smoke.
    Maybe you want to make "faces in smoke" your title and draw the judges into that part of the image.

Best of luck,

Don Mitchell

You know what Don said about that split second between hearing the title and seeing the image? Sometimes if the judges expect to see one thing from the title but actually see another ( as long as it's an "OHHHHHH I get it" not a "Whhaattt?????") it can help the print. With that idea in mind - my suggestion is "Stacked"

Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

Thanks guys, for all the thoughts and suggestions. Don, I'm still looking for the faces. Can you give me the name on the label of wine? My St. Pauli Girl only gets me so far. Ha ha. I'll be going illustrative, most definately.

If there are others with more titles, I'm listening.

Thanks,
    Robin
    Robin Arkenberg
    Robin's Photography

Louisville, KY

Holly,

I like "Stacked". How would you tie in the river together with the plant and the stacks? I realize the stacks are the main subject, but...?

Robin
    Robin Arkenberg
    Robin's Photography

Louisville, KY

I wouldn't worry about the river. It's secondary and not as important to the story of the image - if you are trying to direct the attention to the stacks and the smoke.

Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

How about "Where there's smoke, there's power" ?
    Liz Vance, Cr. Photog, CPP
    oh baby photography
    bellies. babies. beautiful.
    www.ohbabyphoto.com

A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there--even if you put them all end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity. - Robert Doisneau