Need a Title (No JUDGES please) - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

That's actually a challenge. IMHO, it could pass as both and either one would be on either side of the fence. It could be commercial for the fact that it's generating power for the population. It could illustrative of the fact that pollution is a very real problem. I think the title will spin the viewer one way or the other so it depends on how you want the viewers to think of the image.
    Ariston Collander Photography
    Professional Portraits et. al.
    Beautiful Pictures, Beautiful People
    http://www.aristoncollanderphotography.com

I think the title will spin the viewer one way or the other so it depends on how you want the viewers to think of the image.
    Ariston,

I agree whole heartedly. With that in mind, do commercial images have more straight forward titles?

Robin
    Robin Arkenberg
    Robin's Photography

robin@RobinsPhotography.com
    Louisville, KY

With that I have absolutely no experience, I can say, though, that if you think about the concept of "commercial", you are representing a product or company. My guess would be that the titles would be less poetic and more to the point that would represent aspects of the product or business. Looking at an image of a Ford Mustang against the backdrop of an ocean setting, I wouldn't be thinking "Sunshine on a clear day" I would be thinking more along the lines of "Beach Muscle" or something like that. That ties the surroundings (the beach) with the car (Mustang being a muscle car), but at the same time tie in the humorous aspects of "Muscle Beach", people working out on the beach.

I'm sure with your image there's a creative title, that portrays the commercial aspect of generating power that would downplay the smoke out of the stacks. If the title pushes the one topic, the viewer would subconciously accept the smoke as part of the process. If the title pushes pollution, then you can bet that's exactly where the eye would go as would the mindset.

How about, "A Confluence of Power"
    Don Barnes
    The Photographers

The Titanic was built by Professionals,
    The Ark by Amateurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Price View Post
    Facing north on the big "O"
    While this title is descriptive - it makes the assumption that the panel of judges will all know what the big "O" refers to. I personally would hear that title and expect to see an image of Omaha NE - which is sometimes refered to as the big "O" or in their current ad campaign as just "O!". So you have to be very careful usine local nicknames or idioms because your judges are probably from all over the country. Robin - to answer your question - Yes commercial titles are generally more straight forward. Deciding which catergory to place the print, I would ask yourself what are you trying to achieve. If it is commercial - what is the purpose of the print - to show the huge size of the operation? to illustrate air pollution? to show the imapct of the local environment? etc etc If you are entering the print as illustrative then what is your story there? The geometric shapes of the building as opposed to the organic shape of the river? The numerous shades of gray? What is the print most successful at achieving? It may achieve several different things but where is it MOST successful? That will tell you which catergory to go with. And once you know what the main idea you are trying to show - then you know what the title needs to convey . In my experience it is much harder to merit a commercial print than an illustrative one. that may be completely untrue but in my limited experience it semms like the commercial catergory is much more demanding of technical perfection.

I agree that the smoke is the biggest draw to my eyes. As most of the power plant is in shadow, it lacks the visual importance of the smoke stacks and smoke. That's why I would not simply call it "Ohio Gas and Electric". I think I would name the print something like "Impacting the Environment" and enter it under the illustrative catergory.

Hope you get lots more opinions so you can pick and choose what feels right to you.

Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

"Coal Power"
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Default Confluence

Don's "A Confluence of Power" speaks to almost everything brought up in the thread...the word is perfect for the multi-dimensionality of the image and the topic...in either category.

What do you think of the title "Not Smoke Free"?

Robin
    Robin Arkenberg
    Robin's Photography

robin@RobinsPhotography.com
    Louisville, KY

"No Smoking Please"

Keep em coming Ariston.

Robin