Mount Board question

Default Mount Board question

We have been having a small problem here in maryland with our image competitions.

Some of the images are being created using a mount board that is laminated on the back. We can not seem to find anything that will stick to the lamination so we can mount our entry forms. SO far peple have tried masking tape and regular tape and it is not working.

has anyone else encountered this problem? any suggestions on what to do?

I just got an image back from the printer that has this lamination on the back and I am thinking of taking a small piece of sand paper or something just to rough up the surface a bit so the tape will hold.

Thanks in advance.

john Stein

Did anyone try ATG tape, a double sided adhesive applied with a roller gun, sold by framing supply companies?

Will 2" wide clear packing tape adhere to the surface?
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

George,

I will try the packing tape on my image and see what happens.

The double sided adhesive probably would work but the main concern has been that when the images are stacked on top of each other before being displayed for the judging that some of the tape has been coming off the backs of the images and sticking to the fronts of others.

John

4. Default

John,
    Ask your lab not to use that particular mount board. You may have to "dress" the edges but regular mount board will work just as well and you can adhere tape to the back.

You said <that when the images are stacked on top of each other>

Your print crews should not be stacking them on top of each other rather standing them on end so that no weight is on the prints. A group or them stood on end will not occupy much space and keep the transfer of something to another print problem from happening.

Buddy Stewart, PEC vice-Chairman

For the very reason, I've seen print committees stack prints face to face and back to back.
    The packing tape may not hold a Sharpie type felt tip pen. The tape could be used to hold the edges of an entry form or label.
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

PS:

The possible reason labs are using newer technology boards is they do not warp and curl as the conventional mount board does.
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

Buddy,

I'll pass the info on to our competition committee, that is one of the only areas up here that I have not been involved in.

Normally I do have just a regular mount board for my images and I then dress the boards to eliminate the white edges. I tried a diffrent lab this time with a "Problem" print ( problem as scored 79 three times and I was told it was a printing issue) and that is why I got a diffrent mount board.

john

8. Default

One other thing comes to mind. The boards will hold an Avery label. That's what the regional seals for merit are on. I haven't had one of those not stick anywhere.

John, good luck with your 79.

Buddy Stewart PEC vice-Chairman