Print cases?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Print cases?

Default Print cases?

I'm entering my first competition this weekend. Can anyone tell me what standard procedure is for packing my competition prints for submission? I don't have a fancy case or anything. Will the box they came in from the lab be acceptable?

Thanks,

Nate
    "Often while traveling with a camera we arrive just as the sun slips over the horizon of a moment, too late to expose film, only time enough to expose our hearts."
    Minor White

Nate Weatherly
    www.nateweatherly.com
    Hallmark Institute of Photography Graduate '06

No, you need to get a hard plastic case. Well, there are others that are acceptable, but they are even more money. Something like this: http://www.adorama.com/FIP5016202.html
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Nate,

Mark is correct when it comes to most state, regional and national competitions where you have to mail/ups your images in.

I have competed in some state and local competitions where we hand deliver our images to the competition. In that case the box they came in is ok.

Best thing to do is contatct the print competition chairman at Triangle or call Becky or Sam and ask them, this is of course if that is where you are competing at.

John Stein

Default Protection between prints

Hello all,

What do you place between your prints to protect them from themselves?

Robin
    Robin Arkenberg
    Robin's Photography

robin@RobinsPhotography.com
    Louisville, KY

We use black felt, cut to same dimensions as the print case itself. One layer between each print and one piece top and bottom. Keeps prints from rubbing each other and is easy for the print crew to unpack and repack after print competition. DO NOT put your prints in individual plastic bags or tape anything arount them etc. Remember the print crew is wearing those yucky cheap white gloves. Image trying to type with rubber kitchen gloves on. Make it easy for them - you don't want them to have to use a knife or scissors to unpack your prints.

Keith and I have some extra print cases laying around if anyone is interested in buying a used one. We both had non-master 16x20 cases. Then Keith had a case for artist competition. Then we both got 20x24 cases when we became Masters - them one year Keith entered a 24x24 print and needed a larger case. Plus Keith used to enter wedding albums so he needed a deeper case for that and so on and so on... Anyway. If anybody is interested let me know and I'll see exactly what we have that is still in good shape.

Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

Thanks Holly,

Black felt sounds like a great option, and less visible lint. I'm off to the fabric store.

Robin
    Robin Arkenberg
    Robin's Photography

robin@RobinsPhotography.com
    Louisville, KY

Forgot to mention the lint factor - which is why we started using the felt in the first place!

Holly
    www.1224artdolls.com

Default more rigid, lint-free solution

Another option is mat board or foam-core.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Mark - mat board or foam core is a great choice if you are hand carrying the case. If you are shipping (and for us usually next day air as we are running late) weight is a consideration. While mat board or foam core don't weigh much - felt is a little lighter plus it takes up less room in the print case. Either works great - use what you have and don't have to pay for!

Holly
    www.1224artdolls.com

I used the release paper that I removed from mountboard.