How do you make the DVD's?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How do you make the DVD's?

I've been helping Leslie (who recently passed the written exam) put her images to DVD. There is no criteria as to how the DVD should be made (other than formatting to NTSC.

Can we simply put the images together in a picures to exe. executable file on the DVD? will that suffice, or do we need some sort of DVD specific production program. If so, what's out there?

Michael
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

If you are on a Mac use Fotomagico
    I'm sure there are programs for PC that will do the same thing.

A really simple way is a slideshow program.

Another way (if you already own it) is Nero has a slideshow creator built in. Just slap the photos in, in the order you want them to appear, set the display time, etc and click burn.

Adobe Premier is another way too. But it gets slightly more complicated then the first 2 options.

Hey Michael,

Congrats to Leslie and when she passes well you guys know the ourppa.com CPP passing tradition right? lol

Anyway's, I sent mines in as a standalone DVD player playable DVD. I used proshow producer (or gold), no music, with about 3 seconds transition. I did put blank slides set to 1 sec in between each image.

Good luck on her review!
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

Ulead DVD Burner

Roxio Media Creator (I prefer this one of the two).

Both of these programs also have slideshow creators. I do recall that the Roxio one has a "hi-def" option to select for DVD-video, whereas the Ulead one does not. Anyone know if that makes a difference?

I inferred from what little directions there were that it should be readable on a standabone DVD player also. In that case, just dropping an .exe file on a DVD won't work....
    Last edited by Betsy_Finn; 09-29-2006 at 12:58 PM.
    Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email

Default I use Canopus Imaginate...

It does a great job of compressing a large JPEG to the small TV format (720x480) with no artifacts. I also use it for photo montages. It doesn't contain any DVD authoring software, so you'll still have to use Nero or something like that.
    -Assoc. degree, commercial photography
    -Certified Professional Photographer
    BLOG

I used Pro Show Gold, but first I used PhotoShop to add a number to each image in the lower righthand corner. This matched the list with the client names.

3 second exposure with fade tranistion. Easy, fast.

John
    John Vanek, CPP
    John Vanek Photography
    San Jose, California

I bought ProShow Gold and used it for my second DVD -- you can defninitely tell the quality difference between it and the other programs I mentioned. If you're going to go the DVD route, ProShow Gold will be a great investment!!! (and save you some troubles too)
    Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email

If you like gold then producer will blow you away!
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

Default Let's Record the Lessons Learned

Okay, Marc and Betsy have both been successful with the DVDs, so we know what they did works.

Could you guys do us a great favor and give us a detailed track of how each of you put your packages together? Then we can make sure the knowlege gets archived and remains available in the future.
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP