Raw print competition?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Raw print competition?

Where can I find general guidelines on raw print competition? Or can someone give me a list of usual criteria?

Thanks!

I never knew there was a Hollywood Florida!
    No, sorry, can't help you with your question. I'm surprised no one has answered you - I think maybe I'm the only one on line tonight. No one is commenting much on the threads.
    Lori Clapp
    www.amomentintime2.com
    Will I EVER know how to use what I learn?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hitz
    Where can I find general guidelines on raw print competition? Or can someone give me a list of usual criteria?

Thanks!
    Bill PPofN has a folio competition that orginally was a raw print competition (back in the days of film) where it was 8 previews from one session or event. They had to be unretouched, unsprayed, undustspotted .... the exception was if the neg was previously retouched and the removal of the retouching would risk damage to the neg. and you had sold the orginal preview then you could reorder a preview from the retouched neg. The folios had to be standard off the shelf folios - you could not add or change the folio. The intent was to see the photographers work not the artist. People complained in the past few years that thier creativity was being stiffled by not allowing ps or artwork on the images and presentation. So it evolved to include a open class catagorie for these people. Then others complained that the top scoring folios were always open class and that it was not fair to be set against them for the awards. Now it is mostly the ps images entered and the old rules have gone away. The ordinal intent was good but if you don't generate enough people entering to justify the $'s spent then the association needed to offer what the people wanted. I can see if I can get a set of last years rules to post here. We have our folio comp in Jan.
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Hey Bill,

What do you mean by Raw? Like straight from the card work? or people that compete using raw files on capture (being funny here) and never JPEG?.

I am assuming Raw as in straight from the card and quite possibly cropping would be the only PS change. I have thought about this many times this month since all that wins at my local nowadays are heavily paintered work. I still merrit but I have not won print of the month this year yet. I go like, where's the picture and like a straight print can't win anymore.

My sentiments aside, I think the purpose of the PPA international print competition is to promote Professional work and not amature/county faire type stuff. As in, we would not sell a client images that were not cropped, printed and enhanced to it's best.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you end up finding a "raw" or straight from capture competition.
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Benjamin
    My sentiments aside, I think the purpose of the PPA international print competition is to promote Professional work and not amature/county faire type stuff. As in, we would not sell a client images that were not cropped, printed and enhanced to it's best.
    Marc,

As an aside, as a commercial photographer shooting chrome film for many years, a majority of work was shot and lit and styled, because there was no retouching budget.
    I know it may not be what you meant to say, but a good photo doesn't have to be "worked" on in post to produce a professional looking image.
    Of course, I never met a photo that couldn't be "improived" either in the darkroom or in Photoshop. But I show hundreds in my shows tthat are "straight" out of the camera.
    Give a camera to someone like Jay Maisel and you can get a "master" photo, with no cropping ot enhancing. Just a straight photo. And many of his images are with a plain vanilla 50mm lens.

Actually a "raw" competition would be interesting. Tonal adjustments only. If that.

[QUOTE=Jack Reznicki]Marc,

a good photo doesn't have to be "worked" on in post to produce a professional looking image.

Give a camera to someone like Jay Maisel and you can get a "master" photo, with no cropping ot enhancing. Just a straight photo. And many of his images are with a plain vanilla 50mm lens.

QUOTE]

Amen!

Holly & Keith Howe
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Reznicki
    Marc,

As an aside, as a commercial photographer shooting chrome film for many years, a majority of work was shot and lit and styled, because there was no retouching budget.
    Hmm. So how about an "Iron Shooter" competition. Take a top-level, big-city pro and some young upstart pros, give them the same subject and concept, and see what they can do with it in 30 mnutes. Judge their images on the spot, right of the camera and see which of the young Turks can top the old pro.
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP

Default welcome to studio stadium

Who's gonna play the rich guy that bites the roll of film in the intro?
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Levesque
    Who's gonna play the rich guy that bites the roll of film in the intro?
    I'm thinking it should be the current PPA pres.
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP

In case you guys have trouble finding film for Jack to bite, I do still have about 20 rolls in the freezer!

Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com