Print Critique
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Print Critique

Default Print Critique

Hello All,

Could I get some input on a couple of prints I've been thinking to use for competition? If you have suggestions for the print names other than what I've called them, that would be helpful also.

The first print is titled "Easy Listener".

The second print is title "Red Flower" because I don't have a title for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Robin_Arkenberg; 08-24-2006 at 09:08 PM.
    Robin Arkenberg
    Robin's Photography

robin@RobinsPhotography.com
    Louisville, KY

I'm not seeing them!
    “The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” Henry David Thoreau

They show up fine for me.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Red face

Hi Robin,
    Both prints are lovely. Presentation is excellent. Where are you entering? Local, state? The girl is great--as far as getting a merit or not, I'm not sure. It might be lacking the wow factor (impact). The flower definitely has impact and could merit. I'm not an expert on print comp, but have entered a lot. State, local, and nationals (twice).

On the girl, her shoulder seems to be too prominent. The image is small so I can't tell if the marks on her ears(lower) are small studs or scars from previous studs. If scars, freckles, or whatever, they should be retouched out.

The flower, I would leave just as it is and think of a great name like "Flame Thrower" or something to generate interest yet still be storytelling.

Lots of folks have looked, but I'm the only one with comments. I would love to see this forum do more critiquing and less just looking. We could all learn a lot before spending money on a competition print. There are lots of people here who have great credentials for this. Sometimes it's only a small detail that needs to be fixed before the print is entered and it could make a big difference.
    Auralee

Default My ideas ...

Hi Robin;

Here is my version of the young lady's portrait which I call "Spellbound". [U] I moved her and reduced the subject layer so it would sit on the 2nd quadrant.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified , Cr.Photog., ASP
    floryphotog@mindspring.com

Default Another for Robin ..

Hi Robin;

Here is my version of your flower image. Once again, I moved and reduced in size the image layer as well as changing the accent line.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified , Cr.Photog., ASP

Robin I am going to give as honest a critique as I can with the files I have.
    It is very hard for me to judge the images as I see them - the reason is I can not check details because of the small file size. So I will be makeing several assumptions. The Flower - "Crimson and Gold" or "Flamming .... (drawing a blank at the moment). When I judge flower blooms I need the impact which this image definately has,,,, Composition - You have placed the image very well, it is strong and takes control of the leading line elements. (As a judge we are to judge what is in front of us and not how we would change it. With that said and the fact this is a critique I tried to see if I could find a different placement I would like better and I failed - your placement is very strong. The accent line is personal choice what you did is good especially with a title that explains the coming out of the frame??? Personally I do like D Craig's interpretation a bit better but it is your vision and your choice. Back to the image - Colors are strong, saturated but do not appear to me to be over saturated (one of those things that I can not tell on this file). To merit this type of image needs to be sharp all the way along the stamin (I may have spelled that wrong) and preferably all the petals. Again I can not tell on this file. Assuming that I am correct in that it is sharp and not showing any tech flaws (over sharpening, over saturation, cloning tracks, banding etc.) I would easily be in the merit catagorie and possibly higher depending on what is in the blacks (soft rendered detail of the stem and leaves).

Easy Listener - I have a harder time with this image because of several reasons. First looking at this image as it is, I would be in the above average catagory and with the real print maybe into the deserving of review. First impact, with the easy listener title, I see her face and I am drawn to her ear which is too bright and pulls me out of the composition and out of the print. (Do you have a image of her with her hair covering her ear?). The next thing that impacts me is that it is broad lit making her face rounder and almost looking misshapen again drawing attention to the ear. While broad light controled the hand very well, short lighting would have given detail to the model's right showing hair etc. slenderized the face to a oval and toned the ear way down which I believe would have added impact to the image. Her eyes look a bit over retouched (I can't tell if it is just the file size throwing this off) also the catch light in her right eye appears larger or as large as the left eye and the bridge of the nose would be partially blocking the light so my attention is then questioning the artwork. I can't tell how well the iris are done but it appears to be handled very well. The soft focus that has been used bothers me (though it could be file size again I can't check to see) but it looks to me that her skin tone is very soft and glowing but her ear and hair is sharper than the eyes and cheeks giving the impression of back focus.
    Robin I can tell you are a talented photographer and have a good grasp on lighting to create the feeling of depth and composition. I hope I didn't discourage you too much. Seeing these two images leaves no doubt in my mind that you have at least 4 merit images in your files. I am concerned that Easy Listener is not one of them. I would however use this model again! Great face and wonderful expressive eyes. Keep in mind this is just my opinion and had this been a judging I would have been 1 of 5 on the panel. I'll be anxious to hear how you do!
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Default Every thought is information

Hello All,

First, thank all of you for the critiques. I appreciate every one of them. After I look at my images over and over, I tend to accept certain aspects of them. With all of your eyes, I can see a great deal more of the details that I may have overlooked.

Auralee, I'm considering entering these and other into the KPPA Kentucky print competition.

Craig, I do like your interpretation of the flower much better than mine and I have already made changes to it. I've attached a redo of the flower with your suggestion.

Keith, everything you said is so true. But, it is so difficult to get my daughter to go out and be photographed again. I personally prefer short lighting to broad. I believe it never hurts a subject to look a bit thinner.

I've attached another print I'll be entering as well.

While I'm thinking about it, how do you attach prints to a post that will show up on the page instead of a link?

Thanks again for your thoughts, opinions, and suggestions.

Robin
    Robin Arkenberg
    Robin's Photography

robin@RobinsPhotography.com
    Louisville, KY

Default How to attach ...

Hi Robin;

You write your post first. Then scroll down past the message to where it says manage attachments. When you click it you then click on Browse. Then go to the file folder your image is on. Click Upload and if it says it's ok, click to post the message ... below the manage attachments button.

Your image should not appear to be larger than 32KB in Photoshop because the forum will see that as larger.

I'm posting a low-res small version of my composition grid. I just sent you an e-mail and will send it to you if you like.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP

Hi Robin - D Craig has the attachment instructions down, I do know that some are useing Photo Bucket and get more than one image at a time to show and they are larger. When I went to their site and read the agreement form, I was in a hurry and so I did not sign up as I think I saw that you are giving PhotoBucket a licence to use all prints as they want. You may want to check it out as like I said I was in a real hurry when I looked at it I could be wrong.

as for Aproching Storm, It appears soft to me - can't tell on the monitor. The lighting on the water looks like a bright day with specular light and the sky is burned way down. Depending on the panel it might go but as I see it here I would be at 78. I would Love to see it larger to see if I am scoring it correctly. Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.