Good Source for Increasing Understanding of Color Theory
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Good Source for Increasing Understanding of Color Theory

I've got a reasonable knowledge of color theory, both additive and subtractive. But, when it comes to being asked questions about the topic, I'm not too good at giving or writing an answer. (e.g. I can do it in the darkroom, but I screw up the questions when they are asked outside of the dark room, specifically when they are asked as exam questions).

I'm wondering if anyone has some good ways for clarifying this information or good resources that will discuss CMYK color theory in more depth. (Most of the online color theory discussions I've found have been about RGB....). I've got Photography 8/e by Barbara London and have already perused that....and am looking for a different resource.
    Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email

Betsy,

This topic really confused me. I did not have the time to find any other books to read on the subject before I took the exam. However, I can tell you that it was the topic I studied the most. I also reviewed my material just before the exam. As soon as the exam was handed to me, I wrote down the color wheel in the margins. It must have worked because I got all the questions right in that section.

Regards,
    Howard
    Regards,
    Howard Kier, CPP Weddings, ABI, MBA and DAD
    Magical Moments Photography

Betsy;

If you are studying for the CPP exam, I would suggest you focus on how color theory is explained in the London text. That is the most straight-forward explaination I have found.

And for the test, if you understand the color wheel, and what colors you get when you mix your primaries, and also how color theory is related to color balance (again explained best in London), you will be fine for the test.

Memorize the order of the color wheel for the 3 primary and 3 secondary colors. You can doodle notes during the test (like doing the math for light ratios) so just write down the color wheel and you will be good to go.

I just took the test in late June, so let me know if you have any other questions.

John
    John Vanek, CPP
    John Vanek Photography
    San Jose, California

Don't worry about four-color printing theory and practice (the "K" for black ink used in process printing). Just concentrate on the Cyan/Magenta/Yellow color wheel (which includes RGB as secondary colors). If you get the wheel itself planted in your mind, that will pretty much do the trick. As has been suggested, draw it out on the scratch paper as soon as you get to those questions.
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Kier
    Betsy,

It must have worked because I got all the questions right in that section.

Regards,
    Howard
    How did you know? I just got an overall score with no information individual sections.
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe

Kirk Darling, CPP

Quote Originally Posted by John Vanek
    I just took the test in late June, so let me know if you have any other questions. John
    Great to see you here John!

And congrats on passing that test! Also, there's a unwritten rule here that newly passed CPP's buys drinks!

Betsy,

Don't strees the color theory as much. Just remember ROYGBIV and spend some time messing with the color balance sliders on photoshop. Ask yourself questions like...what happenes if I add a blue? What happens if I add red and so on...
    Last edited by Marc_Benjamin; 08-24-2006 at 08:03 PM.
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

I just got an overall score with no information individual sections.
    Kirk,

When I received my results, I received a breakdown of the correct questions and total number of questions per category. I can tell you that having never really shot film, I blew that section big time! I hope they update that part of the exam or a lot more folks will be having trouble getting certified.

Regards,
    Howard
    Regards,

8. Default

Hmmm, when did you take your test? I took mine last March and the only information I received was my score and that I passed. It would have been very interesting to know what I got right versus wrong and I would still like to learn and understand the questions I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHeckler
    Hmmm, when did you take your test? I took mine last March and the only information I received was my score and that I passed. It would have been very interesting to know what I got right versus wrong and I would still like to learn and understand the questions I missed.
    I guess we need to ask David about that.
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe

Kirk Darling, CPP

I sat the exam at Image 2005. I was not aware that they changed the reporting method. The section grades was on a second sheet of paper. Maybe they forgot to include it in your packet, it just got lost or they could have printed it on the back of the letter. Who knows. I'm not sure if they can provide you that information at this late date.
    Regards,