Image Submission....
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,208

    Default Image Submission....

    Ok so I took the initiave and submitted a set of 20 images on DVD for the July 28th deadline. I've heard it takes about 2 weeks to get results (if that's wrong, feel free to correct me). Being the worrier I am, now I'm wondering if the images I submitted are "good enough." [yeah, I'm being too hard on myself and shouldn't...I know ]

    When the judges accept or deny Certification Image submissions, do you receive reasons for their decision?? (e.g. great lighting on this one v.s this one has improper lighting and was rejected). Or do you just get a notice as to whether you "passed/failed"?
    Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Clarksburg, WV
    Posts
    1,043

    Default

    Hi Betsy,

    I just received my certification and it took them more like 2 1/2 months to get the results back to me. All I got back was my original submission form with the judges signature under "accepted by jurors" bracket... no comments. But mine was accepted by all jurors so I don't know what they might do if they're not accepted. However, I've seen you're work and I think all of you're worrying is for nothing... I think you won't have any trouble having your images accepted. But I worried too... especially about two months, one week and six days into waiting to hear back from the panel.

    Good luck and keep us posted.

    Danny

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,208

    Default

    Danny, thanks . I hope it won't take 2.5 months!! (if it does, I bet I'll drive my husband crazy ).

    btw.... congrats on getting the images accepted! (...even if you did have to wait so long).
    Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Joaquin Valley Calif
    Posts
    763

    Default

    Good Luck Betsy,
    Waiting is awful--do they only allow you to submit once a year? I need to read the instructions.
    After reading all the stuff on creating DVDs and special software and color correction, I think I'm sending paper prints. I'll let my lab worry about all the correction and won't have to buy software I don't need and then teach myself to use it.

    When are you planning to take the test and do you feel that the study group was a big help. I read the test questions on the book site and felt they were pretty outdated, but definitely good stuff to know.

    The sample questions from PPA seemed more relevant.
    Again, good luck to you.
    Auralee Dallas

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    North Platte, NE
    Posts
    1,884

    Default

    I'm wondering - is the long delay in getting approval because they only have a panel of judges every so often? Like maybe 3 or 4 times a year? It's been a long time since I got certified but I know it was no where near 2 months. And they called me with my test results in about 2 weeks. If you wanna know when they will be reviewed just call national and ask. I wouldn't have been patient enough to wait so long. Craig should know the answer to this.

    Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auralee Dallas
    Good Luck Betsy,
    Waiting is awful--do they only allow you to submit once a year? I need to read the instructions.
    After reading all the stuff on creating DVDs and special software and color correction, I think I'm sending paper prints. I'll let my lab worry about all the correction and won't have to buy software I don't need and then teach myself to use it.

    When are you planning to take the test and do you feel that the study group was a big help. I read the test questions on the book site and felt they were pretty outdated, but definitely good stuff to know.

    The sample questions from PPA seemed more relevant.
    Again, good luck to you.
    Auralee Dallas
    I think there are quartly review deadlines...But the only reason I know July 28th is a deadline is because of this forum -- the cerification site doesn't have those dates listed (they're TBA - hehe).

    Yeah I thought DVD submission would be tricky (it does sound hard)...but I'm really glad I tried it. I might even make a few portfolio DVD's the same way, since they looked really good on my TV. (better than laptop hooked up through S-Video connection).

    I'm planning on taking the test Oct. 8th at the PPM Fall convention in Traverse City, MI. It will give me time to review my "problem areas" but also will be early enough that I can still retake it in Nov in IL if necessary.... (but I plan to pass the first time!). The study group has been great for me because otherwise I might not have kept up with the reading....and for the chapters that did have difficult material, it was good to be able to discuss the concepts (I still get the color filters confused...only printed color prints for a short time myself and even then didn't know it except visually). yeah, sections of the book are outdated, but they have tried to update it to include sections on PS and digital imaging.

    Thanks!
    Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holly Howe
    I'm wondering - is the long delay in getting approval because they only have a panel of judges every so often? Like maybe 3 or 4 times a year? It's been a long time since I got certified but I know it was no where near 2 months. And they called me with my test results in about 2 weeks. If you wanna know when they will be reviewed just call national and ask. I wouldn't have been patient enough to wait so long. Craig should know the answer to this.

    Holly
    Good point, Holly. From what I understand there are quarterly reviews....maybe they received Danny's a month or two before the deadline....?
    Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Palmyra, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,214

    Default Image reviews

    Hi Holly;

    There are scheduled review dates. The Professional Photographer lists when and where exams are scheduled. Print review dates are also listed there I believe. It used to be they would be judged whenever and wherever they could get 5 masters together. Now I'm pretty sure it's more of a structured time factor.

    D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., PPA C.P.P. Liaison. ASP
    floryphotog@mindspring.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Clarksburg, WV
    Posts
    1,043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Betsy Finn
    Good point, Holly. From what I understand there are quarterly reviews....maybe they received Danny's a month or two before the deadline....?
    OH boy... that's just funny. You actually think I'm punctual! To be perfectly honest with you, I had to overnight my entries the day before the deadline. Cause ya know, three months of preparation time ain't what it used to be. I think the very nice lady I spoke with over the phone (whose name I can't remember), told me that the deadline was just that... a deadline. That didn't mean your images were being judged that day. She also said several other photographers were looking for their submissions as well, so I'm thinking maybe it was just a busy month. Regardless, if they were judging them while you waited outside it would still be agonizing. I pined over my entries for weeks wondering if I made the right choices. But I think you'll do just fine Betsy... I've seen you're work and it shouldn't be a problem. GOOD LUCK and keep us posted.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,208

    Default

    That's ok.... I got pretty close to that...

    Sent mine priority mail to make sure the DVD submission would make it on time...and then realized that I sent the submission and the CPP application the same day -- not what they request you to do. I got it straightened out, the person at PPA was very helpful, thankfully.
    Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Live Chat is closed