Live feed of convention
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Live feed of convention

Sure would be nice if we could offer a live feed of the print competition at the convention! I did order the critique video but that'll be of just mine and I'm sure there's no way they could publish a schedule of when an entry would be judged but what a learning experience that would be for those (like me) who can't attend!

Any other thoughts and no, I have no idea of the cost or complexities of making that a reality, have just seen it done for other venues.
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

Linda, A very nice idea - however as there are 3 or 4 panels running simultaneously it would be difficult at best. As far as schedualing when each makers image is judged - impossible. There is no way of knowing how long the panel will choose to discuss or not discuss each print. How would you like it if they rushed through your prints in order to stay on scheduale? The video critique will give you a much more in depth view than actually watching your print be judged because if the panel is pretty much in agreement on your entry there will be little to no discussion. In the video critique you will be given all the reasons why it did or did not hang.

You mentioned "at the convention" This is not a convention - just judging. The only people here are the judges, print crew and people taking the judging course - maybe less than a hundred people alltogether. I'll trty to post an update of what is going on if I have time. I'm off to help set up the judging booths. Actual judging starts tomorrow.

Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

Default How about ...

Hi Linda;

If you belong to your state association, I have a suggestion. Contact the print chairperson and ask if it would be feasible to videotape the print judging there. I know in our state, one part that could not be taped would be when trophies are selected. If they allow it, you could tape it yourself. Unlike PPA, where there are up to 5 panels of judges, we have a panel of 5 with an alternate on the end waiting to come on and another out on break.

I think this is a good idea which I'll suggest to our state group. I may just ask our print master 1st since he is a nationally recognized juror. Let us know if you are given permission to do it in Kansas.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP
    floryphotog@mindspring.com

Thank you for both the reply and the volunteering on the print crew!

I really didn't think there was any way to schedule print judging but knew that would be a question posted by someone else.

I would love to watch other's images being critiqued, I love that part. The ability to also see other prints would be a fantastic opportunity.

I kind of envisioned something like 'Antique Roadshow' where you can't see all, but some. Not that this would be taped, but live and nothing prechosen, just.....judging as it happens.

There are many of our members who cannot attend but who would benefit AND enjoy such a thing but then, logistics probably plays a nasty hand and some wouldn't understand why they couldn't see their own prints.

Looking forward to updates if and when you have time! What a cool volunteer job! (At least I hope it's cool! Temps here are to be over 100 every day for over a week. [Wichita, KS])
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

Quote Originally Posted by D. Craig Flory
    Hi Linda;

If you belong to your state association, I have a suggestion. Contact the print chairperson and ask if it would be feasible to videotape the print judging there. I know in our state, one part that could not be taped would be when trophies are selected. If they allow it, you could tape it yourself. Unlike PPA, where there are up to 5 panels of judges, we have a panel of 5 with an alternate on the end waiting to come on and another out on break.

I think this is a good idea which I'll suggest to our state group. I may just ask our print master 1st since he is a nationally recognized juror. Let us know if you are given permission to do it in Kansas.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP
    floryphotog@mindspring.com
    Craig,

Good idea! I will. Again, I have no technology experience to 'make it happen', I just have experienced it from other's use of it and would like to see if we can make it available. Such a learning tool!
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

Update from print judging - I'm back in the room. It's been a very long day. I have seen a few familar names from this forum on the backs of some prints. We started this morning at 7:45 and finished up at 7:00 this evening. The DVD/CD wedding albums are new this year and it's been interesting to see how that goes. The head of PEC is making sure that every judge has a chance to sit on that panel as this may be an option at affilated judgings next year.

It is very obvious that every one goes out of their way to give each entry the fairest shake. It's amazing to me just how small the print crew actually is - maybe 20 people total? There are four panels running at all times, plus three rooms set up for the critiques.

I don't know if this is of any interest but thought maybe someone would ike to hear about what goes on here.

Holly
    www.1224artdolls.com

Holly, as I'm new to the whole experience, I'm more than glad to hear your interpretation of the events! Please share all you can!
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

I have done live feed stuff before...
    Once with a wedding we brought a computer that plugged into the facility's hispeed internet system and then established a link that out of state folks could click and watch a feed from the computer. Was ok...had a decent amount of lag, but you got the point....the audio was fine...could work for something like this...or you could just brodcast the picture and have a running audio comentary...what you would do it would require some planning and a test run.

For dance recital we broadcast quite frequently...but this method will only work in the facility or convention space. We have a UHF/VHF broadcast unit that will actually send the video signal to one of the un-used channels. Only goes about 1/2 a mile tops...and I mean in perfect conditions..dars FCC...lol (shh they might be listening) this works great, but doesn't work for the "people that can't attend" aspect.

Anyway...it can be done...but does it need/want to be done is another aspect.

Hi, More updates from Daytona. The panel I was working today judged many of the international entries - mostly from asian countries. It was interesting to see how cultural differences effect styles of photography. The panel was careful to take those differences into account when judging. After a print is judged deserving of a merit, it goes on to another panel to be judged for loan collection. Each judge was given 10 tokens to use for selecting images for the general collection book. If they are on a loan panel and are in favor of selecting the image for loan, but it does not receive the majority needed to make it, then the individual judge can use one of their selection tokens to have that image put in the general collection book. So if you have ever wondered how your image was choosen for the GC book, it means at least one judge felt it was loan caliber.

Holly
    www.1224artdolls.com

Default Ahhh, loan and tokens...

Hi Holly,

I was wondering, since each judge is given 10 token then it means there's a minimum loan count. Is there a maximum loan count?

Also, you mentioned seeing names of folks that hang out on the forums? Did we do ok?
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com