Certification Portfolio Review Request

Default Certification Portfolio Review Request

Hello there!
    I am looking for some extra eyes to look at my CPP Portfolio before I submit it. The attachment uploader would only let me attach 5 images here. So I have included in order: Short Lighting, Broad Lighting, Rule of Thirds, Selective Focus, and Low Key.
    Do these pass muster?

Thank you very much!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Certification Portfolio Review Request

IMO, Even though it is technically selective focus...other elements are hurting it. The technique (selective focus) is ok. But the posing and lighting is off. To put it bluntly the bride has deep harsh shadow with 2 black eyes and she is eating the flowers vice smelling them. As a compulsory image all elements have to come together besides the one you're demonstrating. Since failure of a compulsory image would cause the rest of port not to be reviewed...I would not use SF-03. You have the technical idea down. You could re-stage this shot with any 2 people. It wouldn't need to be a bride and groom. Hope it helps.
    Vance Wagener, CPP Liaison

Thank you Vance. I will review other selective focus images I have taken over the years and choose a better one....or reshoot it altogether.
    Did you have a chance to look at the other images I posted? I really appreciate the time you took in giving me your review of the selective focus image.

I feel like your broad light and short light are just a little hot. In your short light image, your ratio could be a little stronger. Nice separation from the background on both. I agree with Vance about the selective focus image. On your rule of thirds I think it is lovely, not sure if the vertical columns are hurting it though, I think I am missing some sort of a leading line to your couple and the round monument in the middle seems to really dissect the image. I am not sure it is your best choice, the 1/3 placement should make the image stronger and here I don't feel like it's working -- the couple is really competing with all of those columns. On the low key image I feel like she is too brightly lit while there is a lot of detail being lost in those blacks. I am also not comfortable with your posing choice -- I think you probably would have better choices for this image.
    Katherine Tracy Page, CPP Liaison
    Babycake Studios

Since much of it has already been covered, I will just mention this for future reference. Judges don't like to see tilts in the images either. Plain and simple and proving that you can complete the task at hand is basically what they want to see. It is all about being able to be competent in the basics. Good luck!
    Angela Lawson CPP
    Michigan CPP Liason
    AGL Photography
    Where Life + Art = Memories Forever
    http://www.aglphotography.net

so I just took a look at you images and I think there is some work to be done... your broad and short are close to butterfly lighting - you also have posing issues on all of your images and your low key you are losing your details in your shadows --
    groups
    there is a facebook page where you can get real time critiques -- you can find us at www.facebook.com/groups/cppimagereview

CPP IMAGE REVIEW ON FACEBOOK - you MUST be a Declared Candidate to participate in this Facebook page --
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/218362211581341/