3:1 Broad Lighting??

Hybrid View

Default 3:1 Broad Lighting??

I've passed the exam and currently building my image files to submit.

I'm nervous about the 3:1 though. Would this image pass?

IMG_1315 8x10.JPG

Default Re: 3:1 Broad Lighting??

Congratulations on passing the written exam. Now, it is time to pick your images for submission. Personally, I would say that if you are nervous about making a 3:1 light ratio portrait, you need to study a little more. The ability to create images at different light ratios is all about being a professional. The only aspect of producing a 3:1 that concerned me at the time was if the judges could tell to a 1/10 of a stop or not. I was extremely careful in my measurements and knew that my submission were exactly 3:1. You will be doing yourself an honor to not guess and to know if it is 3:1 or not. Do not rush your submission, be confident with your submission. Then once you upload your selection all you will have to do is wait for your gold tube.
    Mike Watson CR.Photo., CPP

Understood
    For all the reasons you listed I've taken my time and am confident that the image I attached and was asking your opinion on is in fact a 3:1 Broad Light image.

Can you have a look and let me know what you think?

Yes, you do have board lighting. As far as a 3:1 light ratio, I wouldn't want to say yes for sure. I am viewing your image on a calibrated monitor and the shadows seem a little dark to me. This just might just be due to her skin coloration. If you have 1 unit of fill light on both sides of her face and twice the light or two units of light on her highlight side, you have a 3:1 ratio. The combination of 1 unit of fill and 2 units of main light equals 3 to the one unit of fill light on the shadow side. Does that help?
    Mike Watson CR.Photo., CPP