Competition Image Critiques - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Competition Image Critiques

Hi Lela,

The disclaimer: I am not a qualified judge nor even a master (just 3 merits short!) So take what I say with a grain of salt and feel free to completely toss it out.

Some things jump out at me. 1: the title. It is generally assumed that the use of foreign languages is not a good idea. I know enough French to understand it - however that does not mean the announcer can pronounce it correctly or the judges will even know what you are talking about. Don't start off on the wrong foot with the judges by making them say, "Huh?". 2: The model's left hand has death grip on the glass. 3: When shooting profiles, you want to pull the model's hair back so it does not come out from under the chin. 4: Tone down the left arm. It's too bright and is competing with the face. 5. Placement. The model's face is in a third within the box, but it would also be good if the model's face could appear on a third on the canvas/board.

I experimented with cropping it tight and eliminating the left arm completely keeping only the top of the glass. Not sure that's the answer.

Hope some of those help.
    Larry J Foster, CPP
    Past President, Metro PPA
    FosterPhotograhicArts.com

Thank you Larry! I may go for a completely different image. I don't think I can do much more to improve it.
    Lela K. CPP

This is my second year entering IPC and I am having such a hard time deciding what images to submit. I would be so grateful for any advice about these images. Any of them worthy of submitting? Or anything I should change? Thank you so much!!
    comp1 copy.jpg
    comp2 copy.jpg
    comp3 copy.jpg
    oh and I am the WORST at names, so no titles yet.

Hi Kelli,

The disclaimer: I am not a qualified judge nor am I a master (just 3 merits short!) So take what I say with a grain of salt and feel free to completely toss it out.

comp1: The mother's hand behind the baby is brighter than the face and needs to be toned down. I find the out-of-focus baby knee in the foreground distracting (crop it out maybe?) It would be nice if the mother had a little more lighting ratio on her face to bring out the shape of her face and make it look like a short or loop lighting. Also, mom's nose exceeds the far cheek, breaking the 2/3 face rule. That one they may let you slide on, depends on the judge. Consider cropping the left side to almost mom's ear.

comp2: they will hammer you on key. Blue head piece, red cupcake and navy baggy pants. Do some color adjustment layers and selectively change the head piece and baggys to match the background if you keep this one. Also, take the kid out of center. Crop off all that left and get the baby in a third. Not the strongest image of the three.

comp3: they will tell you the face should be the brightest part of a portrait - tone down those baby legs. Presentation is good with the head in a third. The right hand looks a little awkward and that might cost you points.

Hope that helps.
    Larry J Foster, CPP

Larry - Thank you so much, that definitely helps! I do have one question, can you explain about key? Is it because I used a light colored backdrop that I need the rest of the image to be in high key?? I didn't realize an image had to be either high or low, or maybe I'm misunderstanding... I think I'm going to throw that one out of the stack anyway, but I'd like to learn for the future

"Key" may not be the best word to use there. Ideally, you match the clothes and accessories to the background so that the face becomes the greatest area of contrast and then stands out the most. The multiple shades of light and dark would really hinder this in competition. The exception in the image is the cupcake, which could remain red. If you decide to keep this one, fix the white diaper hanging out of the navy baggies.

Hope that helps.
    Larry J Foster, CPP

Marie just as was suggested I believe to Rick on his portrait, covert to black and white and I think it will be far stronger.

Do we have an I Hate My Case thread yet?

Quote Originally Posted by J_Davidson View Post
    Not that I have seen, I'm just trying to keep my mind off of the whole thing. I've vowed not to go back and look at the images I have submitted and regret anything.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Davidson View Post
    For me, that's usually after it gets judged...
    Larry J Foster, CPP