Need title help

Thread: Need title help

Hybrid View

Default Need title help

I already have a title for this print that I like very much. My quandary is that I have been told that one shouldn't use odd or foreign names because they may be mispronounced. (I absolutely agree with this, because I have seem titles pronounced so badly that the whole effect was ruined.) Anyway, I titled my print "Poseidon's Altar," which I really love, but I can just imagine what variations people can come up with. The other candidate for a title was "Neptune's Altar," which may have a better chance of not being mispronounced. Am I being too cautious, or should I just take a chance on Poseidon?

Corrie

Default Re: Need title help

Don't use titles written in foreign languages. I did this a bunch of years ago - I had a portrait of a Vietnamese bride wearing her trditional red wedding dress. Since the bride was Vietnamese, I wrote the title out in Vietnamese. The print went down in flames. The strange title distracted the judges - especially since that was before we started getting images sent in from our Korean and Chinese affiliate associations. If I had just titled it as "The Lady in Red", it would have hung...
    You don't have to make that mistake to learn from it - I already did that one for you...
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Thanks - I know you're right. I just think Poseidon has a little more "cachet." In a gallery I could probably get $100 more for Poseidon over Neptune....lol.

Poseidon doesn't seem to me to be "that" different. Also, some of the competitions now show the title on the scoring device, depending on the level of the competition, so the judges may or may not have to rely on the announcer's interpretation.
    Christine Walsh-Newton, M. Photog., Cr., CPP
    Ohio CPP Liaison

Website Blog