Image submission

Hybrid View

Default Image submission

I submitted my image portfolio for my CPP and failed to pass the test. Some of the judges comments mentioned incorrect lens selection. If each image was shot with the same lens 70-200mm F/2.8 then how could some images have the correct lens selection and others not? I only ask this question to learn and understand.
    "If one seeks only the praises of his peers, he gains nothing". me

Default Re: Image submission

It's hard to say without seeing the images, and since I am a judge I can't give you specific feedback on your images. It's pretty hard to go wrong with that lens, so I would worry less about that particular comment than any other shortcomings your images may have had. In my viewing of the images (in general), any image that included a sub-optimal lens choice had other, more pressing issues to deal with as well.

Did you get past the compulsories? If you got dinged on any of them, make sure you NAIL them for your next submission. Which means not only demonstrating the required skill, but also making sure every other aspect of the photograph is correct and complete. Submitting a short lit image that is improperly cropped, includes a color cast, or bad post processing will get you dinged just as surely as if you submitted a broad lit image.

When you get to the client work part, make sure you are choosing the very best image (from a technical perspective) of the entire session. Look at it from the judge's perspective. If someone submits a weak or flawed image, how much confidence would you have as a judge that this person knows what they are doing? The image submission is in effect stating to the judges "this is the very best work of which I am capable". When you go back through your images, is that the message your submission is sending? If so, it needs improvement.

In looking at images you've posted for critique, I have seen some real growth in your image making ability since you first started posting. You are on the right path. Your lighting and posing have definitely gotten better. Make sure the images you are submitting are properly post-processed. And when you are going through your sessions, be ruthless in your selection.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Levesque View Post
    It's hard to say without seeing the images, and since I am a judge I can't give you specific feedback on your images. It's pretty hard to go wrong with that lens, so I would worry less about that particular comment than any other shortcomings your images may have had. In my viewing of the images (in general), any image that included a sub-optimal lens choice had other, more pressing issues to deal with as well.

Did you get past the compulsories? If you got dinged on any of them, make sure you NAIL them for your next submission. Which means not only demonstrating the required skill, but also making sure every other aspect of the photograph is correct and complete. Submitting a short lit image that is improperly cropped, includes a color cast, or bad post processing will get you dinged just as surely as if you submitted a broad lit image.

When you get to the client work part, make sure you are choosing the very best image (from a technical perspective) of the entire session. Look at it from the judge's perspective. If someone submits a weak or flawed image, how much confidence would you have as a judge that this person knows what they are doing? The image submission is in effect stating to the judges "this is the very best work of which I am capable". When you go back through your images, is that the message your submission is sending? If so, it needs improvement.

In looking at images you've posted for critique, I have seen some real growth in your image making ability since you first started posting. You are on the right path. Your lighting and posing have definitely gotten better. Make sure the images you are submitting are properly post-processed. And when you are going through your sessions, be ruthless in your selection.
    Thank you Mark for your comments, you provide very good advice. I do think that I could have been more selective in my selection process when choosing my images. I am usually very picky with my own work and perhaps I rushed it a little to meet the last submission deadline. I now know what needs to be done and thanks again for the advice.
    "If one seeks only the praises of his peers, he gains nothing". me

Paul

see PM
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman