Feel that I am ready to start on obtaining a merit but do not know how to even begin.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Feel that I am ready to start on obtaining a merit but do not know how to even begin.

First off I want to say that over the past couple of years being a PPA member I have learned so much from fellow PPA members. I can go on the list of people that I respect and learned from but that would be a long list. Now I have asked this in the past but now I feel that I have an general grasp on what I would like to do next. As business is growing in our area, I want to set myself apart from the rest of photographers in our area and show current and future clients why they should do business with us. I have thought that I should go and take the CPP test but I decided on not to at this time (long story on this but I freeze up on test really bad) So I decided that maybe going for my degree will help me on this road. I looked on the site for the merits and degrees and somewhat confused on which that I should try to go to work on first.

I was thinking about working towards the MEI first but then I saw Master of Photography and thought to myself that I am now confused. I have faith in my abilities that I can do a decent job on post editing my photography and working on my photographic craft, but most of the education that I can offer to the photographic industry is in online and social marketing. I feel that I can not contribute my photographic skills as they are still growing day by day through learning new things everyday. What I can say is that I am confident on my post editing skills but still somewhat nervous about entering my artwork into any exhibitions. Seeing that I am long winded on my post I am now certain typing this that I do not know which direction to even start in.

Any advice that anyone that they can offer on which way to start will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Feel that I am ready to start on obtaining a merit but do not know how to even be

I think that I may have found my answer, but thank you for those that view the posting.

Default Re: Feel that I am ready to start on obtaining a merit but do not know how to even be

Quote Originally Posted by aliis1214 View Post
    most of the education that I can offer to the photographic industry is in online and social marketing. I feel that I can not contribute my photographic skills as they are still growing day by day through learning new things everyday. What I can say is that I am confident on my post editing skills but still somewhat nervous about entering my artwork into any exhibitions. Seeing that I am long winded on my post I am now certain typing this that I do not know which direction to even start in.

Any advice that anyone that they can offer on which way to start will be greatly appreciated.
    The most important thing you can share with other photographers is how you bring in business. If social marketing works for you, start doing seminars on that. You'll pick up the 12 non print merits you need for your masters, and you'll do the profession a favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan_Lawrence View Post
    The most important thing you can share with other photographers is how you bring in business. If social marketing works for you, start doing seminars on that. You'll pick up the 12 non print merits you need for your masters, and you'll do the profession a favor.
    I was hoping so, being a web designer and online marketer I feel that there is so much that fellow photographers can do to better bring in business. Thank you for the suggestion Stan! Now on how to get started on this process..........

Quote Originally Posted by aliis1214 View Post
    I was hoping so, being a web designer and online marketer I feel that there is so much that fellow photographers can do to better bring in business. Thank you for the suggestion Stan! Now on how to get started on this process..........
    How to get started speaking or preparing the program? To get started speaking, send an outline to the local groups in your area, once you've done a few you can start approaching state and regional. As to the program itself, just do an outline. If you know the material, it's just a matter of guiding the process.

I will get started on the outlines and get that ball rolling. The one thing that I love is to share my knowledge with others and see them succeed! Thank you again Stan for pointing us in the right direction

You can also earn Service Merits by doing service... Like working as a print handler at the IPC, helping to set up and take down the Photographic Exhibit at Imaging, serving as the Print Committee Chairman for your State Photographers Association, working at one of the District Judgings, etc...
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Massarini View Post
    You can also earn Service Merits by doing service... Like working as a print handler at the IPC, helping to set up and take down the Photographic Exhibit at Imaging, serving as the Print Committee Chairman for your State Photographers Association, working at one of the District Judgings, etc...
    I always since joining wanted to do that as well. Is there a listing where I can look at for my state, where I can offer to do these services?

If you look up the word "service" in the dictionary, it will likely have a picture of Rick... the man gives more than anyone I know....

Quote Originally Posted by Stan_Lawrence View Post
    If you look up the word "service" in the dictionary, it will likely have a picture of Rick... the man gives more than anyone I know....
    I always see him giving, he seems like a cool dude! LOL In all honestly I always see him in photos in where he was part of the set up crews and other things. I saw the PPA NJ site and email someone that hopefully would get back to me on what is needed. Again I am always looking to help in any way.