IPC Question

Thread: IPC Question

Hybrid View

Default IPC Question

I'm an Affiliated Juror in Training, so I've never sat on an IPC panel, but I have a few questions.

Someone please describe to me, in detail, about how images are selected for the Loan Collection.
    I know about the tiddly-winks but I'm a little gray on how many each judge gets, and how they are applied to images.
    And, are there catagories for the Loan Collection?, ie: XX amount for Portraits, XX amount for Illustrative, ect.

Do images that have some Loan votes, but not all, go into the Showcase Collection?

I'm told that panel consists of 6, or is it 5 and an alternate, just like district?

Your help is mucho appreciado!!
    M. Photog., Cr. CPP
    F-TPPA, F-SPPPA
    Vice President, Texas Professional Photographers Assoc
    Professional Photographic Certification Commission
    5 Time Photographer of the Year

Default Re: IPC Question

Mark, check your email. I sent you the PDF of the 2011 jc manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_McCall View Post
    I'm an Affiliated Juror in Training, so I've never sat on an IPC panel, but I have a few questions.
    Someone please describe to me, in detail, about how images are selected for the Loan Collection.
    Quoted from the 2011 JC Manual:
    "Loan Collection
    All merit images are judged for "Loan Collection" at the International Judging.
    A panel consists of six to fifteen jurors. An odd number of jurors is recommended.
    A simple majority is required for the print to "go loan".
    If it is evenly split, or close, the jury chairman will call for someone to speak for the print.
    After the selected juror has commented for the print, the chairman may call on someone else
    in favor of the print. After that, comments will be requested against the print, then for and
    against, alternately. When there are no more comments the chairman will call for the vote.
    Upon re-voting the decision will be announced "goes loan" or "stays the same".
    Jurors and Jury Chairman on a Loan panel have the right to challenge an image. The speaking
    process above is used to discuss the image. A rebuttal is granted to the challenger."

Quite often, the Loan panels use double juries - but they are allowed to run with a single jury at the PEC Chairman's discretion.

I know about the tiddly-winks but I'm a little gray on how many each judge gets, and how they are applied to images.
    Do images that have some Loan votes, but not all, go into the Showcase Collection?
    The PEC Administrator gets a number of how many images are going to be included by the PEC in that year's Showcase Book, and we divide that number by the number of jurors. That number of tiddly-winks is given to each juror. The jurors are rotated by the PEC Chairman on and off of various panels. Each juror gets that many selections - this year it was 6 to each juror.

When a juror is sitting on a Loan panel and decides that an image impresses him enough, he can give up one of his chips and place that image in the Showcase Book. Usually it's a case where a juror loves the image and it does not go Loan and he wants to still reward the maker with a special honor, since it did not go Loan. Usually it's a case where a juror challenges a print to go into the Loan and the other jurors do not go along with the challenger, so he gives up one of his selections to place that image into the Showcase Book. Since each juror only gets to select a few images out of all those images in the General Collection, it's quite an honor for a juror to fall in love with your imge enough to give up one of their choices to place it in the Showcase Book.

And, are there catagories for the Loan Collection?, ie: XX amount for Portraits, XX amount for Illustrative, ect.
    There are no quotas for minimum or maximum number in the Loan Collection nor in any categories. If it is worthy of being in the Loan Collection - it goes in.

I'm told that panel consists of 6, or is it 5 and an alternate, just like district?
    Quoted from the 2011 JC Manual:
    Judging At the International Competition:
    "The Merit/Not Merit method will be used at the International Judging.
    Each Image will be judged as to whether it is "Merited" or "Not Merited".
    Panels will consist of six or seven jurors. Six are designated as active jurors and one as an
    alternate.
    All jurors enter a score for each image. The score is calculated based on the six
    active jurors unless a juror disqualifies him/herself. In that case, the alternate juror’s score is
    used. The alternate Juror also may challenge a score, give their opinion and, in turn, give the
    rebuttal. On all challenges, the alternate juror is treated as a member of the panel.
    A simple majority is required to "Merit".
    If the panel is evenly split there will be an automatic challenge.
    If no juror challenges, the jury chairman will call on someone who voted for the image to
    become an “advocate” for the image. The discussion will then proceed to the judge’s right as
    in a normal challenge. An advocate is not entitled to a rebuttal. If the panel remains split the
    jury chairman will discretely break the tie and announce if the image is "Merited" or "Not
    Merited". The jury chairman may choose to use the vote of the seventh juror if one is on the
    panel.
    Jurors and jury chairman may challenge any image."
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 03-01-2013 at 06:46 AM. Reason: changed color of quoted text
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Rick,
    Thanks for posting this.
    I read all this in my manual, but it's kinda vague.
    ie: 6 to 15 jurors judging for Loan
    ie: 6 or 7 jurors judging on a panel.

I was hoping to find something more concrete. For example, at District, there's 5 active and one alternate, all the time.
    This information is still better than what I had, which was nothing. LOL
    M. Photog., Cr. CPP
    F-TPPA, F-SPPPA
    Vice President, Texas Professional Photographers Assoc
    Professional Photographic Certification Commission
    5 Time Photographer of the Year

Guys
    it might a stupid question but how can I submit my images ?
    I am in Florida

many thanks, Thierry
    Thierry Dehove
    my toys

Thierry,
    If you live in Florida, you would be in the South East District. The rules for the SEPPA competition can be found on the PPA web site under - Competitions - District Competitions - go halfway down the page and you will see the information for the SouthEast District Competition. Entries are being accepted now for SEPPA competition throught the beginning of April. You can submit your entries either in printed form or digitally as an electronic file. There are two separate competitions - the Photographic Open and the Master Artist Competition - the Photographic Open competition is judged based upon the quality of the final result produced. The Master Artist competition is all about artwork, so it is judged based on the degree of difficulty and the execution of the artwork involved in creating the final image. For the Photographic Open competition you only present the final image. For the Artist Competition, you show the before and after artwork images so that the jurors can appreciate the artwork involved in producing the final image.
    https://www.ppa.com/competitions/con...temNumber=1541
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 03-04-2013 at 09:31 PM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Thanks so much Rick
    didn't see this update last week
    Thierry Dehove
    my toys