Question on age of images

Default Question on age of images

I read that for the 9 images, they have to come from client work within the last 24 months. For the compulsory images, it states that these can either be client work, or they can be set up. It doesn't specify, so I was wondering if these also need to have been taken within the last 24 months?

Thanks!
    Tracy, CPP
    Recording Secretary, VPPA State Board of Directors
    2015 VPPA Convention Chairman
    VPPA Tidewater District Treasurer

Default Re: Question on age of images

Yes. They need to be current images. You can knock out all of the compulsories in an hour or two. Note that these should be completed images, like you would give to a client. When we judge them, it is NOT just for the skill being demonstrated. They have to be good images on their own, as well. I did a feedback session for one guy who did the skills correctly but the images all had issues apart from the skills being demonstrated. And please, for God's sake, make sure you use a short lit image for the short lighting image and a broad lit image for the broad lighting image. Nothing worse than having to ding someone (with a strong portfolio) who gets them wrong.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Thanks, Mark! You feel a little passionate about those things, huh? LOL! I promise I know the difference and I will try to make you proud.

Another question. I know that in my 9 client images, no 2 can be of the same client, but can I have 1 of him for my 9 and then use a different one of the same client for one of my compulsory images since all of those could be of the same person if I wanted?

Thanks!
    Tracy, CPP

Tracy,

Your compulsory images can be the same subject and shot just to demonstrate your understanding of that skill. Your other images must be from client work and you would not duplicate subject matter. In other words -- if all 6 of your compulsory were the same subject that would be fine, but when you hit the other 9 - it would need to be a different subject and a professional image to demonstrate body of work. You can not double up.

Hope it helps
    Vance Wagener, CPP Liaison

Thanks! I keep pulling from client work for the compulsory images, but everyone keeps telling me to just go ahead and do those at the same time, with the same subject. I had selected one of my male senior clients for one of my 9, but then noticed that another image from his same session would work perfectly for one of the compulsory images. If I couldn't use him as both one of the 9 (he is from paid client work) and one of the compulsory, I was just going to use him as one of my compulsory, but now I'm hearing to just do the 6 compulsory purposely for the image submission, so I guess I may rethink this. It may be fun to do an assignment/session for me for a change!
    Tracy, CPP

If you have client work that fulfills part or all of the compulsories, feel free to use them. That's what I would do, if I had to put together an image submission for the current format, because I have plenty to choose from. But some people have a hard time finding good examples of certain skills, so for them it's just as easy to set them up one after another and knock them out. It really isn't too taxing. I'm sure you will have no trouble with any part of the certification process.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Thanks, Mark! I sure hope you're right. Especially since our convention is in less than 2 weeks and I hope to be able to attend the CPP luncheon and compete for the CPP only things in print competition. :/ I guess I'm pretty much ready to submit my images. I just have to cut 5 out of my selections, which I'm undoubtedly putting way too much thought into.
    Tracy, CPP