Can I use it for District?

Hybrid View

Default Can I use it for District?

Hi all,
    Just a few questions...yes, again..
    Can I join District without joining my local state affliate?

Also, I submitted 3 images that did not merit to IPC. Can those that did not merit be submitted to District?

Thanks!
    Marie

Default Re: Can I use it for District?

Marie,

Yes, you can enter your PPA District judging without joining your state affiliate - but joining your state affiliate has a lot of advantages, so you should really consider joining your local or state groups.

Yes, as long as the image has not received a merit, it can be entered into your District judging - but if it did not merit at the IPC, I'd get a few opinions on the image before resubmitting it to District. There might be something simple that you can do to the image that might make it a merit.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but Rick's response brought up a question that I've been having. If your state affiliate is a great distance from you, and another state is closer, can you join the other state? Or do you have to be a member of the state you reside in.

I had thought about that too. Due to distance, Its not feasable for me to participate in my local affiliate especially since I'm still trying to build my business and my main source of income is from a regular 9-5 job. When and if I go full time, then I would make sure to schedule in the meetings and events. Right now though, I find it very difficult.

This is a free country and you are free to join or not join any association you choose. As a past president of our state association, it is natural and almost automatic for me to say that you should join and support your own state association, but sometimes logistics and physical distances between your studio and where the state events are held can become problems. Our state has always had a few members from the South Mississippi area who are out of state members and attend our state convention due primarily to the close proximity of our convention to their location and the attractive aspect of combining a convention with a visit to New Orleans. The downside of being an out of state member is that you may not be eligible for the statewide competition awards from the annual print competition - you might find that you may only be eligible for the "best out of state entry" award, and even if you score very well in the compettion, you may not take home any awards. It's your choice which state association you join, and you will find that being a member of your state association has benefits that you might not initially percieve, but whatever group you choose to join, it is to your advantage to join one or the other.
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 01-31-2013 at 05:08 PM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

It would actually be closer for me logistically to go to OK or TX, but I do see the advantage of joining my own state association for competition. I think I will do some investigating. I did speak to the TX affiliate at IUSA and she said I would be welcome to attend their meetings, so maybe I can become a member of both associations. That's the joy of living out in the boonies! LOL