Do you have to enter state and regional before International?

Default Do you have to enter state and regional before International?

this may sound silly, I am new to PPA, and I have finally created some work I think is worthy of merits/competition, but I missed the 2013 entry deadline for the southwest district(apparently it was last year?!) Wasn't really expecting that-so my question, do you have to enter a competition print into the state and then regional level...and then international? Or is there still an opportunity for me to compete in something? Spring 2014 is when the regional competition is available again....seems WAY too long for me to wait

I would appreaciate any information thank you.

Rachelle LeFever
    LeFever Photography

Default Re: Do you have to enter state and regional before International?

I highly recommend you join your local affiliate and enter their print competitions first. Images that merit are rarely what we expect when we first enter and entering on the local level, going to the competitions and listening to the judges will give you a wealth of knowledge that you will find invaluable.

The answer to your question is NO - you do not have to send an image to a district judging before sending it to the International Photographic Competition (IPC). You can send your entry straight to the IPC without going through a state or district judging first. But sending your image to a state or regional does give you a good idea of how it will score at the IPC. If you send it your district first and it scores 80+, it receives a "Seal of Approval" which means that it will be automatically accepted if it is sent to the next IPC.

Southwest has always been in the fall the year before the International Photographic Competition. That will be changing this year - but they will not have another Southwest District Judging until the spring of 2014 - they did that to get it more in line with the timing of all of the other district judgings.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Thank you SO much Rick and Rodney!! Your responses are greatly appreciated!! I just love this PPA community! Thankyou!! I have all of my paperwork done for state membership, I just got confused with the timeline of things

I have one more question-is it possible to get an image to place in IPC without the Seal of Approval? Do the judges frown upon an entry that hasnt gone to the state and reginal levels? And, in theory, if an image did make it to the IPC...does it recieve merit points as well?

thankyou! just trying to figure it all out I am excited!!

Rachelle

No, there is absolutely no problem with sending an image directly to the IPC without it having gone to a state or regional first, In fact, about half of the images that are judged at the IPC are not sealed and are being judged for merit - many are being judged for the very first time. The ones that have received a "Seal of Approval" from a District judging are automatically accepted and just bypass the merit judging and go straight to the Loan Collection Judging.

If your image is accepted for Merit at the IPC, it then goes to a second judging where it is judged for the Loan Collection. An image that is accepted for exhibition received one exhibition merit. If it is then accepted into the Loan Collection, it receives a second merit and is published in the Loan Collection book.

If you're going to Imaging, look me up. I'll probably be either in the Photographic Exhibition area or staffing the ASP membership booth. I can explain the whole process to you in greater detail.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman