Need Digital Competition Monitor specs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need Digital Competition Monitor specs

Hello - Print chair here trying to find out the monitor specs required at districts. That information used to be in the Jury Chairman's Manual, but does not appear in the 2011 version.

Please help - thank you.
    Christine Walsh-Newton, M. Photog., Cr., CPP
    Ohio CPP Liaison

Website Blog

Default Re: Need Digital Competition Monitor specs

PPA will ship and calibrate the monitors. The entry specs are in the rules. Did you need anything else?
    Sarah L. Johnston, M. Photog. Cr., CPP, F-PPANI, PPA Juror

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops,
    PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!

Sarah,
    I've spoke with Christine when I signed her up to help staff the ASP booth, and she is looking for the specs that are used at the Districts to use in calibrating a monitor (or a set of monitors if they can get a set) for their state competition. I have the specs that Ron gave me written down in one of my notebooks but can't put my hands on it right now. If he is available can you have him repost the specs. I'm still looking for my notes to send the info to Christine.

Christine - here's what I have found - my notebook is still MIA...
    ================================================== =====

VIEWING CONDITONS FOR IMAGE REVIEW
    Prints – Tungsten lighting, 3100K, EV8 (ISO 100, f/16@ 1 sec.)
    Digital Files – Monitor Settings, D65, 120 cd/m2, 2.20 gamma

These are the current specs for the monitors and the competition lighting. Hope this helps to answer your question.
    posted by
    Michael E. Timmons
    M.Photog.Cr., F-ASP

================================================== ======

http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-...s/pa301w-bk-sv

link from Ron Nichols re: monitors used at the IPC

================================================== =======

The monitors that are currently used at the IPC are:
    NEC Multisync LCD 3090WQXi
    These are last year's version of the monitors described in the NEC link above

================================================== =======
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 10-28-2012 at 09:26 PM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Calibrating should be the same as for members preping their images. There is a tutorial video on the site for that.
    Sarah L. Johnston, M. Photog. Cr., CPP, F-PPANI, PPA Juror

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops,
    PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!

Thank you for the info - Rick is correct, I was wanting to replicate as closely as possible the affiliated digital judging setup for a state-level conference we are having this weekend.
    Christine Walsh-Newton, M. Photog., Cr., CPP
    Ohio CPP Liaison

Website Blog

I noticed that some of the Spectraview monitors advertise a feature called AmbiBright". Does anyone have any experience with this feature and if it does what it promises? It almost seems like it could be a bad thing if it is not 100% accurate when it compensates to a monitor correction based on the ambient lighting.

AmbiBright?
    Automatically adjusts the backlight depending on the brightness of ambient lighting conditions. It also tells the monitor to enter power saving mode whenever the ambient lighting falls below a predetermined value (like when lights are shut off at the end of the day), which can significantly reduce energy consumption.

I wonder if that feature can be turned off on the monitor? A monitor changing it's brightness wouldn't be a good thing at a competition. That might work for the casual computer user, but for those of us who are pulling color and adjusting files based on our monitor image a fluctuating brightness level would not be good.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

It looks like the 30 inch monitor they use at IPC may have that feature, it is listed under the specifications. If the room's ambient lighting was consistent I guess it wouldn't have to compensate as much, do they have guidelines for the best ambient lighting for viewing the monitors? Hopefully, it is a feature that can be bypassed if desired.

It seems like a smaller version of the monitor they use at IPC might be a good choice to work with for photographers looking to create acurate files/prints.

I have always had a very hard time getting the right density of my prints/files to be WYSIWYG with my current monitor. If it looks perfect on my monitor, it will print darker than that. I calibrate with an ione display2, and my colors seem good, but I have always struggled with print densities. Maybe it has to do with the limitations of my monitor or my current viewing conditions, I just have a dell 1907fp monitor,in the near future would like to get a better monitor and set it up with optimum viewing conditions for working. I am currently not viewing my monitor under a daylight bulb, which I imagine does not help either.

I remember Andrew Rodney had some great posts here in the past on this topic. I looked up one of his articles on soft proffing from PPA magazine and linked it below.

http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200411_rodneycm.pdf
    The ambient light in the studio where the display resides is also critical. Not only should the ambient light be rather dim, but also as close to daylight balanced as possible. No ambient lighting should fall on the face of the display. Bright colors on
    adjacent walls can greatly affect color perception. Ideally, the display luminance and the light box will be the brightest two
    objects in the environment
    Here is another one of his articles from Luminous landscape that talks about the process of getting a good print.
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...too_dark.shtml

Bumping this old thread up. PPA specs 30" NEC monitor. If that particular monitor is not available what are states using for comp?
    Cathy Broderick, CPP, Choco-holic

AmbiBright can be disabled and should be. But why the questions about this display? Are folks assuming that what they see will match whatever this display is producing too? Not likely, not unless you are using the same display system, instrument for calibration and calibration software. If you use a differing system, but follow the same calibration targets, you might be close, might not. YMMV.