Pre-convention and convention class sign ups?

Hybrid View

Default Pre-convention and convention class sign ups?

I was wondering how exactly to sign up for the classes. I see descriptions and prices, but no where to sign up and pay or just to sign up for the convention classes. Can someone help me?

Also, hoping to make some friends with fellow photographers as I'm new to the convention and don't know anyone.

I'm already excited about the EXPO. Can someone give me an idea how much of a discount they have on equipment, etc? Do the companies bring a lot "stuff" to sell or like one of each item?

Final question. Do people really just bring point and shoots? Some classes say hands on so I don't get that. Please ... can someone explain more of what goes on in those classes.

Thanks

Default Re: Pre-convention and convention class sign ups?

Check the PPA web site - there should be a place to sign up for pre-convention classes along with the convention registration.

Some of the major equipment retailers like camera stores will have a good stock of equipment. Also a lot of the background suppliers will have backgrounds there that you can buy and take with you. Also - most of the specialty item companies will have their products there for sale that you can take home with you.

About hands on demonstrations - I see this all the time at seminars and conventions - the speaker has a model, lights, and reflectors, and is teaching posing and lighting but the attendees aren't really listening to them - they're so busy fiddling with their camera trying to get a shot of the model that they don't learn about the theory of what the instructor is teaching or about where lights and reflectors are placed - so after the seminar is over, they have a bunch of not so great images (because they were at an odd angle) and they don't remember what kind of lighting was used, where it was placed or where the camera was in respect to the model. The real point is that even for a "hands-on" demonstration class, you really don't need to bring your regular equipment since you are not (or should not) be interested in actually photogaphing the model - the instructor will be doing that - what you should be interested in capturing for your own notes is an overview of the area - where the lights and reflectors were placed, how the model was positioned in respect to the environment and where the camera was located in respect to the model. Actually shooting photos of the models at these seminars is pointless since they are not your images - they belong to the instructor - so you can't use these images as samples of your work since they are the creation of the instructor. Studying the overview photos after the convention will be more valuable than some poor angled shots of the model from an off camera position - so you really only need a Point-and-Hope with a wide angle lens so you can lift it up over the crowd and take your overview shot. Plus, if you're not trying to shoot the model, you'll find yourself listening to the instructor - which is the most valuable thing you can do - and you might actually learn something and get some benefit from attending the shooting demonstration.
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 10-26-2012 at 08:13 PM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

I am already registered which is why I was asking about how to sign up for the classes. I got my confirmation email already.

There are options to select the precon classes during the online sign up, but I have added precon classes after I had already registered by calling customer service and doing it by phone. IUSA customer service is very helpful.

Here is IUSA contact information
    info@imagingusa.org | (888) 260-0016

Are the classes during the convention included in the convention fee, or do you pay for them as you attend? I noticed you can sign up for the preconvention ones but not the convention ones.

Yes, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday classes are included in your regular registration. You get a badge that gets you into the IUSA classes and the trade show. Another added bonus is that the trade show will also have many different free mini classes going on. It can be like a three ring circus sometimes.

Thanks Ed, that's what I thought, but it's a little overwhelming and confusing for us first-timers! Glad we have all of you guys to pester with our questions!

I think we all enjoy sharing the excitement of the whole thing, it's like Disneyland for photographers.

Ps: At the registration area at the convention they have little colored adhesive ribbons that you can add to your badge that designate things like CPP, Operation smile and yes "first timer". The ribbons are just for fun, but they can be a good conversation starter when you meet people.

The ribbons are a great idea--that way when you see us first timers walking around with a lost look on our faces you will know that we aren't complete idiots! LOL