Bring equipment? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Bring equipment?

I don't bring a "real" camera unless I plan on doing a pre or post convention trip, like I did at the Phoenix convention. I usually just bring a "point-and-hope", especially since you won't be as upset if TSA fries your P&H as you will if they fry your Mk3 (they fried my travel camera a couple years ago). I've hung merit prints that were initially captured with a P&H.
    - it's not the camera, - it's what's behind the camera...
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 10-25-2012 at 09:42 PM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Cassandra...where do you "hide" it when at parties, etc?

Are the photographers that are there not trust worthy that you have to be scared of having personal equipment stolen? Mmmmm

I'd like to know how many instances there have been of stolen equipment at these conventions.

You have take into consideration the sheer size of the event. There are thousands of photographers there, not to mention various venue staff, people from other conventions going on at the same time in other parts of the venue etc. Statistically speaking, in a group that large there is a chance someone may be dishonest enough to find an unattended bag fair game. Most attending the event don't fall into that category, but it just takes one.

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha_Larkin View Post
    Are the photographers that are there not trust worthy that you have to be scared of having personal equipment stolen? Mmmmm

I'd like to know how many instances there have been of stolen equipment at these conventions.
    I've never heard of anyone having equipment stolen at the convention, but you never can tell about people, especially these days. If you put down a typical camera bag with a good body a couple of good lenses and a flash unit, you could be talking about close to $10,000 in equipment - that's quite a temptation for someone - so I wouldn't chance it. The professionals there are generally pretty trustworthy. A few years ago, i had a photographer walk up to me and ask me if I had seen a certain person since they had found a bag and their name was in it and wanted to make sure it got back to them, I happened to know the person and called him on his cell phone and connected the two so he was able to return the bag to the owner - but not everyone is that honest...
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman