Bring equipment?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bring equipment?

This is probably a stupid question, but it's my first time attending Imaging, and I'm wondering if people bring equipment or if you tend to just bring a laptop for notes and record keeping. Thanks!

Default Re: Bring equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by LeAnneSchmidt View Post
    This is probably a stupid question, but it's my first time attending Imaging, and I'm wondering if people bring equipment or if you tend to just bring a laptop for notes and record keeping. Thanks!
    Actually it is a very good question. You can not take pictures of the presentation slides or record any of the sessions so there is no reason to carry around a camera. A laptop is good for taking notes but paper and pencil weigh a lot less and to carry around a computer all day plus everything you will pick up in the expo will really get to you by the end of the day.

Good luck! There is nothing like being at your first Imaging
    Roger Williams, CPP
    www.Tranquility-art.com Portrait/Wedding
    www.TAP-Online.net Sports when time allows

bring a point & shoot, a notebook or paper pad and comfortable shoes! oh and your credit cards

Thanks for asking this question LeAnne! I was just wondering the same thing. I think I'll bring my iPad and leave my cameras at home. Except maybe the point and shoot as Joe said.

If you do bring a camera bag with equipment, just be aware that when you enter the trade show, you may be asked to remove every piece of equipment so they can put a security sticker on each one, and be prepared to have them check the bag when you leave. They do that so you can prove that it is yours. They have to be sure nothing gets stolen from the trade show booths. Most people just leave their "real" equipment home and bring a "point-and-hope".
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Many years ago (early 1990s) I attended conventions for photojournalists through NPPA (National Press Photographers Association) and organizations such as Nikon Professional Services & Canon Professional Services would clean your gear free of charge while you roamed the trade show floor. Do they still do this and do they do it at Imaging USA?

Really?? No one brings real equipment....

I wouldn't say that nobody brings their good gear to IUSA, but as always when traveling with expensive gear, it can be an albatross around your neck . If you are always worried about your gear getting stolen that can be a real distraction. That being said as photographers when we don't bring our real camera gear we inevitably end up having moments where we really wish we did have it with us. I did have a couple of days free in New Orleans last year and in those moments I kept kicking myself for not bringing my gear. I come from Newspaper photographer background and New Orleans is one of those places that begs to be photographed. By the time classes started and I was going back and fourth from my hotel to the convention center , going to the parties etc, I was REALLY glad I was traveling light and did not have the anxiety of worrying about a $5,000 camera sitting in my hotel room.

The advice to just bring a point and shoot and an old school pad of paper works out well for most people, but if you really have to bring your gear just make sure your insurance is up to date (replacement value)and/or be prepared to have your stuff with you all the time. We often hear how a camera is just a tool, and this situation can be a good test of your skills....to see how we'll we can do with just a point and shoot. Personally I see no reason to bring a laptop at all because a $3 notebook does just as we'll. I did bring my Ipad last year which was easy to carry and fit in my hotel safe when I was at the parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Gard View Post
    Many years ago (early 1990s) I attended conventions for photojournalists through NPPA (National Press Photographers Association) and organizations such as Nikon Professional Services & Canon Professional Services would clean your gear free of charge while you roamed the trade show floor. Do they still do this and do they do it at Imaging USA?
    I think Canon may possibly still do this for CPS members, but Nikon does not.
    I went to a couple of NPPA conventions in the 80s (i was just a kid) and the huge scale of the trade show at IUSA will blow your mind by comparison.

I bring my 'good' camera for taking photos outside of the actual convention - sightseeing, etc. But I did not bring a camera with me to classes or the trade show.
    Cassandra Sullivan, CPP
    Massachusetts CPP Liason

Cassandra's Photography
    Here & There - The Blog
    "If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse."