CPP Images

Thread: CPP Images

Hybrid View

Default CPP Images

Is it ok to post images here that I'm considering for CPP? Or would it be better to do it anonymously in the Gallery so that potential judges don't see them with my name attached? I'm not planning on submitting any time soon. I'm just taking it one client at a time and have a few from a recent session that I'd like to know if they're strong enough for CPP. Thanks.
    Amy Hall

Default Re: CPP Images

Amy- I always put mine up anonymously on the CPP gallery- but I wonder if a link to your images would be okay since they would have to go to them to see them? I will let one of the experts chime in there :-) I would love to see them if you do share a link :-)

I guess I will go anonymous. I actually don't have very many yet so I think I'll wait until I have a collection going and then post them.
    Amy Hall

Be methodical. Start with your existing sessions. You know you have compulsory images to submit. Look for those first. Keep in mind that even the compulsory images have to stand on their own; merely demonstrating the required skill is insufficient. It needs to be a technically sound image all the way through.

If you use Lightroom you should make a collection in which to amass your submission images. Go through each client session you have in the catalog, and pick the images which most directly demonstrate your skill as a photographer. Note that these may or may not be your favorites. Forget the back story behind each image. We don't get that, and it doesn't matter for these purposes. Each image should be well composed, well exposed, have appropriate color, be sharp, etc. Avoid trendy stuff like lens flare that washed out the subject. We are looking for a solid foundation, not frilly stuff intended to gloss over technical shortcomings.

Once you've put all your best images in one place, go through them and look for images which demonstrate the skills necessary for the compulsory images. Make sure you nail each of them, because rejection on any compulsory image is fatal to the entire submission. Once you start doing this, you will see where the holes in your submission lie, and you can simply fill those holes over the next few client sessions you have (and if you have holes in your compulsories, they don't need to be client images).

It's really not hard, but it is somewhat exacting. A methodical, disciplined approach to the image submission will knock it out without much trouble.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Thanks, Mark. I'm approaching every session with CPP images in mind. I try to think in advance of the session what compulsory image I can get out of the session. And I also analyze the photos afterwards to see if any will be strong enough for CPP. I've watched the discussions on this forum and also frequently check out the CPP gallery and the comments made there. I might be stressing too much but I'm concerned about having everything perfect. I think it will take a while for me to amass a collection but I appreciate all the advice that helps me along the way.
    Amy Hall

I understand where the six compulsory images have to come from but the remaining nine images? Do they fall into the same catagories as say short light, broad light, selective focus? I'm a bit confused as to what need to be submitted in the entire portfolio.
    "If one seeks only the praises of his peers, he gains nothing". me

Mike Watson CR.Photo., CPP