District Comp Critique

Default District Comp Critique

I would like to enter my district's competition that comes up at the end of the month. I just got my critiques back form IPC and I am trying to use all that information to have stronger images this go round. Would anyone be so kind to give me any thoughts or critiques on these images that I am thinking of entering for district?

Thanks so much in advance for your time!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: District Comp Critique

bump, just checking if anyone might have a moment to offer an opinion... Thanks!

Hi,
    Your images are very nice. My favorites are the first and 2nd one.

Christy Harper

Hello Kelli,

Making a print to merit does take some experience, knowledge and planning to make it work.
    A print merit is not found based on voting for a favorite image.

The two maternity images are good for the customer, but have many technical and composition problems, and lacking of the 12 Elements of a Merit Image, which will hold it back from getting a Merit score of +80.

You may want to concentrate on the two infant images, which are adorable for the parents and family.
    Good use of the B/W effect on these images.
    Cropping issues could be a factor on why one image looks so tightly cropped and the other image could have been cropped tighter.
    Do you have more room around the entire suit case? The baby's head position of much to close to an edge. The Element of composition is weak, give more room around the baby. Tone down the hot spots, the lightest area should be the face.
    Selective focus is working well, but there are technical problems: the suitcase looks as if it were leaning or wrapped, the lid is not squared-off. Wrong choice of lens, a longer lens or repositioning the baby avoid giving the impression that the lid could chop the baby's head.
    I enjoy this image if you could loosen up the crop.

Infant in the Coke crate is very cute. Sorry Cute is not part of the 12 Elements for a Merit. This images I would do a little cropping to see less of the flooring, but add some base area below the wooden crate. Slightly darken the areas, blanket, floor, around the baby, the face must be the first to be seen. If you have the time, tone down the stroke line, it's too bright, very distracting.

Print Merits are not given because it's a favorite, Print Merit are earned through hard work and planning.
    Good work, keep going.
    Dwight

DWIGHT OKUMOTO
    CPP, M. Photog., M. Artist, M. EI., Cr. API.