"self-assignments"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default "self-assignments"

I'm just starting the certification process with the exam next week. Looking forward to the image review, I'm not clear on what constitutes a self-assignment, i.e. the rules state "The remaining nine (9) images must be from 9 different job assignments completed in the last 24 months based on your specialty (or specialties percentages). No 'self-assignments' are permitted."

What's meant by a "self-assignment"? I think, obviously, grabbing one of my kids and plopping them down for a photo qualifies. As would sending myself on a photo safari. What else would violate this rule?

Default Re: "self-assignments"

The images must be from paid client assignments - your typical work that you sell to clients on a day-to-day basis. Just pull the images out of your regular everyday paid client work and you should have no problems.

Going out to shoot photos of a model for your portfolio images or for display images or photographs taken on a trip (like a vacation) that was not part of a client paid assignment are examples of the kind of images that would not be permitted. If you were a commercial photographer, and you went out and photographed a bunch of buildings with the hope of selling the images after the fact to the owners of the building would also be an example of a "self-assignment" and would not be allowed since none of the building owners hired you to do the photographs in advance of your capturing the images.
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 08-25-2012 at 03:35 AM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Correct me if I am wrong, but the 6 compulsory images may be from a model and the same model in every image as long as the model applies to the requirement. I mean, I would not submit a photo of a male model in a female pose, but that's just me. 3 of images from a mandatory list supplied from cpp & 3 of the images are the photographers choice from a list of options also supplied by cpp. When you are ready to submit, those are submitted first.

The balance of the images to be submitted must be from paid commissions from the past 24 months.
    Missy
    website~Melissa E. Wertz Photography
    blog~Images by "Missy"

And one day I will combined them on a splash page making it really simple. :-)

While a model can be used, why in the world would you need or want to do that? They've already reduced the number of images from 20 to 15, so just pull one image from each of the last 15 clients that you've shot in the last few weeks. You only have to illustrate a few compulsory images, and those can be taken one in each session and finish those in one day. Remember, even if you use a model, the images must be of salable professional quality and must demonstrate the EFFECTIVE use of that particular lighting or photographic technique. I hate to be critical, but if you can't effectively illustrate the required techniques within your normal client work, well... that says something to the judges... and they're the ones who are judging your level of professionalism and whether or not you are qualified to be called a Certified Professional.
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 08-25-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Massarini View Post
    While a model can be used, why in the world would you need or want to do that? They've already reduced the number of images from 20 to 15, so just pull one image from each of the last 15 clients that you've shot in the last few weeks. You only have to illustrate a few compulsory images, and those can be taken one in each session and finish those in one day. Remember, even if you use a model, the images must be of salable professional quality and must demonstrate the EFFECTIVE use of that particular lighting or photographic technique. I hate to be critical, but if you can't effectively illustrate the required techniques within your normal client work, well... that says something to the judges... and they're the ones who are judging your level of professionalism and whether or not you are qualified to be called a Certified Professional.
    You are right Rick. I had forgotten that the total images have been reduced to 15. However, I am missing one of the 3 mandatory lighting, because I never use it. (Shame on me!) One thing for certain, I am moving my lights around more (experiencing the challenge of my small space) and getting used looking at my images lit from a different side, etc.
    Missy
    blog~Images by "Missy"

There's no "shame on you" for not using a certain kind of lighting. Personally, I hardly ever use Broad lighting - I find it adds weight to the face and is seldom flattering - but for something like this, it would be a simple matter to just move a light around into the broad position for one or two shots in a session without the client even knowing what you were doing. Capture those couple for the CPP requirements and move on - just don't show those two to the client. Everyone develops their own style, and one of the most common elements is lighting direction. The CPP test only requires it because they want to make sure that the applicant understands the difference between the two most basic lighting patterns - unfortunately, many applicants do not.

We need a 'like' button.
    Missy
    blog~Images by "Missy"

Missy, I already hit the like button - on your parrot !

You sure did! Thank you!
    Missy
    blog~Images by "Missy"

Missy,

You are correct and may use the same person in all of your compulsories.
    The compulsories do not have to be a paying client.
    You may not use a person more than once in client images even if it was 2 different sessions.
    Although not addressed I would not try using the same person in the compulsory images and in the client image selection.

Hope it helps.
    Vance Wagener, CPP Liaison