Images That Did Not Merit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Images That Did Not Merit

I'll start it off by posting the two that didn't merit. The two that did, sealed at SWPPA. I have yet to actually earn a merit at IPC that didn't seal at SWPPA.

"Done Clowning Around"

I wish I knew where this fell short. Gotta wait for the critiques.

"Before the Bell"

This one I worry that it was strictly the quality of the print that kept it down. There is some beautiful backlighting from the red and blue lights behind him which show his curls, but in the print, they were just gone. I even made them reprint it, and though better, they were really lost in the print. It probably would have done better if I had entered digitally. I was soooo frustrated over how my print looked.
    Last edited by brekke_felt; 08-17-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Default Re: Images That Did Not Merit

Here for critique and or comments are my images that did not merit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Watson CR.Photo., CPP

Quote Originally Posted by brekke_felt View Post
    I'll start it off by posting the two that didn't merit. The two that did, sealed at SWPPA. I have yet to actually earn a merit at IPC that didn't seal at IPC.

Since I'm 0/8 between my portraits/album and my EI entries, I'm not qualified to comment but I really do like both of them. When you get the critiques, would you mind sharing the critques so we can learn from them while comparing the actual image?

I submitted everything digitally this year and I wonder if that is what hurt me. I worked the image on a calibrated monitor but the settings listed for IPC judging are not options with my Spyder/monitor so I just went with how Spyder calibrated the monitor. Maybe the dark areas don't show the detail on the IPC monitors or maybe the images just aren't any good.

Tink please come back

In the EI category I had this entry which I had a judge review at Imaging last year and he thought it would do pretty well.

Iron Horse Pass

What I considered my best EI entry is NWS (nude) so I'll just post a link.

Homeland Security
    http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-qCnF...-qCnF6Lh-M.jpg

I have a slight incline in the treeline horizon but that is on purpose. Looking back, maybe it should have been perfectly horizontal.

If anyone has any comments, please share them with everyone.
    Roger Williams, CPP
    www.Tranquility-art.com Portrait/Wedding
    www.TAP-Online.net Sports when time allows

Quote Originally Posted by MWatson View Post
    Here for critique and or comments are my images that did not merit.
    Mike, on the first one could it have been you cut off the fingers? The second maybe you over whitened her eyes. I'm only guessing to get the ball rolling.
    Roger Williams, CPP

Here are 3...

"Green Eyed Lady" - I felt pretty strong about this one, having talked to 2 judges about entering it in SEPPA.

"I Didn't See No Cupcake" - My grandson, so maybe I'm biased. I thought it was good though.

"Please Come Home, Daddy" - One we talked about entering at SEPPA, but didn't, thinking it would lose impact with similar entries. I saw no others like it, so I sent it in.

I talked with another person that said maybe she needs to shoot specifically for competition instead of pulling from client work. Maybe we do. I have never done that, but may just do it for next time.

Wow Mark!

After we get 20 or 25 images posted here, it would be really good if we could get some actual judges to talk about them. I know Rick is judging in TN tomorrow but maybe next week he and a couple more could provide insight.

I'm really thinking that before I go any further I may want to take the judges class. I did something like that years ago when I was coaching competitive soccer. I became a licensed official so I knew exactly what they were looking for. Also, maybe PPA should be offering a session at Imaging on what makes a Loan print and what will keep it from meriting.
    Roger Williams, CPP

Some beautiful images here, everyone! I'm not in a position to say why they wouldn't have merited - just wanted to let you all know that they look great!

I see some things that may hold some back. It may be Monday before I can get back with time to spend looking, but I will.

I'm new to this IPC and was my first time entering...I submitted digitally nothing merited ... is there a place to see what I scored? or is it yes or no??? thanks!!

THere are no scores. It is a pass/fail.