4th Submission - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4th Submission

Default Re: 4th Submission

Thank you Amy- I changed the High Key and the Rule of Thirds- I think I have to stick with my guns on the Low Key. I appreciate your comments!! You gals rock!

Nancy, that Low Key image is likely going to fail your whole portfolio. Remember, if your 6 compulsory images don't fly, they won't look at the other 14! The tie in that image is the first thing you see because it's your highest point of contrast. Do you have any solid black on black images?
    STEFF (not StePH)

Stephanie Millner Cr.Photog., CPP

main site | destination pets | blog | facebook | fan page

Ah, to live like the Italians... with extremely little to do.
    12.01.09 - Viva la Roma!

that's my best low key and if I don't pass this time I'll definitely be changing it for my
    Next submission. thanks again for your help

Hi Nancy.

As a state Liaison for Michigan, my understanding is that if your compulsories don't pass, they don't even move on to look at the rest of your portfolio. I haven't looked at your images, but definitely take whatever advice Steff gives you. She is very knowledgeable and can give you very good feedback. So work on those compulsories first, then move on to the client images. And keep in mind that even if you have the technical portion of the compulsory correct, you still have to show that the rest of the image is done properly as well (ie. posing, lighting, keys, etc.). Hope that helps a little. Gotta run, but feel free to email me if you need more help. angela@aglphotography.net
    Angela Lawson CPP
    Michigan CPP Liason
    AGL Photography
    Where Life + Art = Memories Forever
    http://www.aglphotography.net

I agree with Steff about your mixed keys - sticking to your guns is OK - but If you do, I'm afraid that you'll be working up your 5th submission next month...

In a high key image, the face should be the point of maximum contrast or the darkest point - the colored outfits are competing for attention with the face.
    In the low key image, the horn is as bright as the face and sort of mixes the keys. My eye keeps gong back to the horn and not the face.
    In the rule of thirds image, the image is placed on the rule of thirds line, but that is not just what rule of thirds is all about - it's not about placement, it's about composition. The baby is off center and there is a lot of dead space to the left - most people will not buy an image that is off-center composed for no reason. If this were a commercial advertising image and there was to be copy added to the left side, then it might make sense, but just placing your subject on the rule of thirds line as illustrated in this image does not demonstrate an understanding of what rule of thirds composition means. The rule of thirds composition is supposed to strengthen the image by placing elements of interest in the image at particular points within the image composition - like strategically placing a barn in a particular spot in a landscape image. The rule of thirds composition is supposed to strengthen an image, not weaken it. This image would look better cropped into a vertical with the baby centered.
    Also - your broad lit image is off center composed for no apparent reason - I'd recrop it to where it makes sense - remember, these are all supposed to be examples of your regular work that is salable to clients that demonstrate these particular concepts. It can be set up to demonstrate the concept, but in the end, they be professional quality images that would be acceptable and salable to clients. If the image has obvious issues that a typical client would object to (such as being off centered for no apparent reason) the judges will score it accordingly...

I'll try to take a look at your other images a little later - after I get caught up a bit...
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 08-20-2012 at 05:16 PM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Thank you Rick and Angela, yes Angela I know the compulsory images have to pass first and I've been very focused on them. Rick your feedback is very much appreciated and needed! I get what your saying about rule of thirds and need to work on that for sure. these types of critiques are exactly what I need

I just had to add one thing to this post- "sticking to my guns" in this case passed me!!! My low key was accepted- I think I demonstrated lighting, posing and low key well and the judges abviously agreed as did my 2 previous judge critques! However, I appreciated ALL feedback I received and valued each and every word! Just feels so good to move on from here :-) I have to start working on the whole merit process- I think that will be even tougher actually!
    N. Robin Belonga, CPP
    Owner TLC Photography

Taking it one day at a time, sometimes one hour or even one minute at a time

Quote Originally Posted by yoopergal78 View Post
    I just had to add one thing to this post- "sticking to my guns" in this case passed me!!! My low key was accepted- I think I demonstrated lighting, posing and low key well and the judges abviously agreed as did my 2 previous judge critques! However, I appreciated ALL feedback I received and valued each and every word! Just feels so good to move on from here :-) I have to start working on the whole merit process- I think that will be even tougher actually!
    Congrats Robin!!
    Billy Walker
    Billy Walker Photography
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    "Let's Go Racin' Boy's"

Thank you Billy.
    N. Robin Belonga, CPP
    Owner TLC Photography

Taking it one day at a time, sometimes one hour or even one minute at a time

Congratulations!!! I am so proud for you!! I'm submitting in February.