Imaging 2007
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Imaging 2007

Question Imaging 2007

Hi gang,

For those of you who have attended Imaging in the past, are there any lessons learned that you can share concerning where to say, any discounts available to PPA members, items to bring along, etc? I know that everyone wants to hear stories of what you learned, which I do as well, but where the rubber meets the road for me is in finding the cheapest way to attend. I just got hit with the fact that my son will need $11,000 by August for college and frankly, I can't afford to pay attention, much less come up with eleven grand. And so, if I have any chance at all of attending, I'm going to have to do it on the cheap. I may have to get me a hobo outfit, some old coveralls, a derby and a neckerchief to put some clothes in and hop a freight train illegally to TX but I'd sure like to go. I did notice the 2-for-1 buddy pass in July's Prof. Photographer Magazine and so I'll have to start polling my photo buddies.

Anyhow, does anyone care to share their wisdom here? I'm also open to receiving charitable contributions for my son's college bill in small, unmarked bills up to $11,000.

Have a great weekend!

Mike
    Michael Larsen
    Mike Larsen Studios
    PPA Member
    www.mikelarsenstudios.com
    blog.mikelarsenstudios.com
    (207) 798-2253

Light A Candle Rather Than Cursing the Darkness!

Hi Mike, Try and stay at the main Hotel. For somewhere at $125 a night, the amenities are well worth it. Not only that, it helps PPA keep the cost down for future conventions: PPA always commits to a block of rooms for the main and auxilary hotels.

Something I learned as a furniture buyer. Do not get swayed on buying everything that is at the trade show! Even if you're tempted by all the special convention prices, you'll find that those specials are carried over for a week or so, plenty of time to get a reality check on what you really want to buy.

The learning experience will get you that $11K when you apply it to your business practice. Consider yourself lucky. All 3 of mine are in College now with a $33k per year price tag. Guess I'll need to go to 3 conventions to fill that need

Michael
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

Default Ahhh, Convention money saving tips...

Hi Michael L,

Kindda ironic and funny, but by the time imaging ‘07 comes around, your son will be eligible to attend the convention for free and if he volunteers, lodging is included. Well, as long as he's a member of studentphoto.com (PPA for college students).

A
    nyway’s, as MG stated, the cost of the convention is really well worth it. I have built in the cost of both Imaging and WPPI in my annual operating cost no matter what kind of year I'm having.

Now for my top 5 convention money saving tips..

1. I remember that when you first sign up for PPA, the welcome package comes with a free ticket. I don't think that one time free event ticket expires so you might want to call PPA about this. However, please don’t quote me since I might have just gotten mine’s during a membership drive or something.

. Room sharing rocks! Cut that $125 per night in half… Like MG said, try to stay at the official hotel… this will actually be more beneficial for ya since most of the “networking” happens at the main hotel bar or lobby.

3. Save on food and drinks by attending the evening socials and vendor events… this will cut down on your dinner expense and drinks. Labs and album companies like to throw these parties all the time… Check with your favorite vendor to see what’s going on.

4. If you know that your gonna buy something, then try to get the floor samples. Vendors often will unload these for incredible deals. Also, try the PPofA charities auction. I got 40 page up to 14x14 flush mount credit from Art Leather (ok, let’s not go there) for about $70 last year.

5. Try to volunteer as staff yourself... that will really get you in and plus lodging. Of course you have to work some shift's but the learning is still there.

Oh, you could also win a seat on the council *wink*...... ok, I'm just being silly now...
    Ok, that’s all that I have right now… take care and hope to see you in San Antonio.
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Benjamin
    [color=black]Hi Oh, you could also win a seat on the council *wink*...... ok, I'm just being silly now...
    Ok, that’s all that I have right now… take care and hope to see you in San Antonio.
    Marc, Council members do not get in free. Keith still has to pay his own registration, hotel, travel, meals etc. Our state does provide him with a stipend that usually covers airfare and maybe $50 toward one nights hotel.

Micheal - having a son who just graduated from an out of state private university last December I can commiserate with you! Oh yeah, he also did a summer semester at Oxford university last year ($14,000 out of pocket for 6 weeks by the time we paid tuition, room & board, travel expenses, spending money, books, and covered the rent for his apartment in Florida cause the lease wasn't up yet UGH!) But the good news is they do eventually graduate and our son will make more money his first year out of college than we do. Remember this kid you are paying to educate will someday pay for you nursing home. LOL!

If you just can't swing the whole conference, I would suggest you might save money by getting a trade show only pass. Many suppliers will give you a trade show pass for free. You can learn a lot just by visiting with venders in their booths and attending the Theatre in the round tradeshow programs and also the mini programs a lot of suppliers have in their booths. You can study the print show and also scheduale a one on one hour long critique session with an affilate juror from this years judging, you bring sample prints and they give you advise. You still have all the networking with other photogs. And while it's great to stay at the convention hotel, if you have to stay someplace cheaper or not come at all, who says you can't go sit in the official hotel lobby or bar. When looking at cheaper hotels though, remember they are usually a lot farther away and you will need to figure the cost of getting back & forth to the site - rental car or taxi. Least my fellow photographers scold me for this advice - let me say the first choice is absolutely to register for the whole conference and stay in the official hotel BUT! if that would mean you have to stay home then trade show only and a cheaper hotel will still provide you with more education than you will be able to absorbe and put into use. Hope to se you in San Antonio.

Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Benjamin
    2[/color][color=black]. Room sharing rocks! Cut that $125 per night in half… Like MG said, try to stay at the official hotel… this will actually be more beneficial for ya since most of the “networking” happens at the main hotel bar or lobby.
    You can always start a thread here on the Forum to look for roommates if you don't have one.

Default well...

"I just got hit with the fact that my son will need $11,000"

One word, Michael. FAFSA

Default Fyi...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Reznicki
    You can always start a thread here on the Forum to look for roommates if you don't have one.
    Also, PPA has the buddie 2 for 1 pass to register.

FYI: I broused Hilton hotels, the primary where other events are held, and right next to convention center. My sluething concludes that Hiltons at recent conventions were far larger than Hilton in San Antonio. Because last year was the largest attendance ever, I would guess this year would follow, and have even more attendance. If one even considers attending, book a room soon; mine is booked and it's 24-hour cancel policy with no obligation. I like walking a few blocks, getting fresh air, saving money, and find a hotel that includes breakfast: several others in the Hilton family.

George
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

Default Ahhh, convention and council

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Howe
    Marc, Council members do not get in free. Keith still has to pay his own registration, hotel, travel, meals etc. Our state does provide him with a stipend that usually covers airfare and maybe $50 toward one nights hotel. Holly
    Hi Holly,

I was really being silly not remembering that our local and not ppa nor state covers our council members registration! lol
    Last edited by Marc_Benjamin; 07-08-2006 at 04:44 PM.
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

Default Council

Council member's or their proxi's, reimbursement of a portion of attendance expenses is VERY dependent on their state associations' budget. Some are zero, and some are a small portion.

I am not on council, but have been involved in budget process for NHPPA.

George
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

PS. Let's remember a councilor really is elected by all PPA members who's address is in a specific state, regardless of local membership.
    Nominations are usually made by the state affiliate association.
    George
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.