Print Submission errors ideas?

Default Print Submission errors ideas?

I had some issues with getting my photos uploaded to IPC from the MacBook and after uploading each image the message would come back that my image didn't meet the criteria, ie 4000 pixels for the longest side.

So, I finally moved them to a USB key, took them to the PC, copied the folder to the desktop and tried to upload them. Same message, even though the longest side was 3850 x 3850. So, I opened them up in Photoshop and upsized them to 4000 x 4000, then resaved the image. It then uploaded just fine. I did it for all 4 images and since the others already had one side at 4000 pixels for the longest side, I just resaved them. Uploaded seamlessly.

So why would just resaving make them uploadable? It isn't critical to know, but I just hate when there is no reason besides because...

-Kevin
    Jones Image Design

Default Re: Print Submission errors ideas?

I'll check into it. I'll let you know (here) when I find out.

edited to add:
    See Ron's reply below...
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 07-19-2012 at 09:54 PM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Hello Kevin--

I don't have an answer for your upload hang up, but I can tell you that if your files are not to specs, there could be viewing and/or printing issues.

In the beginning of accepting Digital Albums, there were a few entries that were not to spec, and it viewed very poorly on screen. The IT guys took the files and did their best to upsize the images. There was a slight improvement but not to the point of saying merit quality.
    Keep in mind, it is not the responsibility for the JCs, IT nerds, or print handlers to correct or adjust an entry that does not meet the specs @4000 for judging.
    Could you imagine the backlog that would be created if more images had to be 'adjusted' during the judging process? It was a nightmare just waiting for a couple of albums to be resized for judging.

So, I believe they built into the registration process to reject files that do not meet the specs. Also, those exact files are used for publishing in the Loan, Showcase, ASP, Prof Photog Magazine.
    I don't think there was any difference between your MAC or PC platforms. Both should perform well.

The young guys setting up the IT stuff @PPA are doing a really great job. During the IPC judging process, they were only getting 1-2 hours of sleep a day, seriously. They started looking like left over 'hippies' from the 60's. Nasty.

Hey, good luck on your entries.....
    Dwight

DWIGHT OKUMOTO
    CPP, M. Photog., M. Artist, M. EI., Cr. API.

Thanks for the reply. I am thrilled that we can just submit digitally, that is a wonderful benefit to us all.

I ordered the video critique as well, so I will find out if they didn't come across right with the resolution!

Thanks again.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by okumoto View Post
    They started looking like left over 'hippies' from the 60's. Nasty.
    Hey bud - You don't look like you're old enough to remember the 60's - you may be - but in that case - dude, you're just holding together a whole lot better than some of us are... some people even ask me about how things were back in the 40's - the 1840's
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 07-18-2012 at 09:33 PM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Kevin,

The reason the system rejected your files is because they were the wrong size. The rules state that the longest dimension needs to be 4000 pixels. In your case 4000 x 4000 for the square images. Once you set the size correctly, they uploaded fine.

The failure had nothing to do with PC, Mac or USB drives.

We designed the system to help members by preventing errors. In the old days if you submitted a print the wrong size, you were disqualified and you had no opportunity to change it. Here, you made an error, the system notified you and you corrected the problem. Congratulations, your images are submitted.

And Dwight, we weren't nasty. We always showered but just didn't sleep much.
    Ron Nichols, M.Photog., Hon.M. Photog, Cr.
    PPA Past President

www.ronnichols.com

Quote Originally Posted by RonNichols View Post
    Kevin,

We designed the system to help members by preventing errors. In the old days if you submitted a print the wrong size, you were disqualified and you had no opportunity to change it. Here, you made an error, the system notified you and you corrected the problem. Congratulations, your images are submitted.

And Dwight, we weren't nasty. We always showered but just didn't sleep much.
    You've really got to give these Software guys a lot of credit. They were doing on the spot hardware and software trouble shooting during the actual judging.
    Those guys are definitely young and single, no girlfriends. Ron is the older dude leader of the tribe of geeks.
    I should have said 'Priceless' instead of nasty, you should have seen their red eyes, caffeine breaths, and wrinkled clothes.
    They are the Life Savers of the competition.
    Could you imagine how many entires would have been DQ'd if they didn't have these safe guards in your registration?
    Dwight

DWIGHT OKUMOTO
    CPP, M. Photog., M. Artist, M. EI., Cr. API.