Submitted files - ?'s about what comes next
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Submitted files - ?'s about what comes next

I finally submitted my last file for IPC.

Can anyone tell me the process for what happens next? I didn't see anything on the PPA site.

Where and when does the actual judging take place?
    When and how are we notified of final scoring?
    If we have sealed images from our state competition, do they keep those scores going forward or are the rescored?

Thanks!!!

Default Re: Submitted files - ?'s about what comes next

Quote Originally Posted by MindyHarmon View Post
    I finally submitted my last file for IPC.

Can anyone tell me the process for what happens next? I didn't see anything on the PPA site.

Where and when does the actual judging take place?
    When and how are we notified of final scoring?
    If we have sealed images from our state competition, do they keep those scores going forward or are the rescored?

Thanks!!!
    I'm not sure of what you're asking - regarding to seeing anything on the PPA site, but...
    The actual judging will take place in Lawrenceville, GA (just NE of Atlanta) at Gwinnett Tech from August 12-15.
    The results will be posted on the PPA web site under the competitions section just as soon as all of the results are compiled and the data checked for accuracy - the results have been posted as soon as the day following the completion of the judging to as late as a week or two after depending on the logistical issues involved. No results are released prior to the conclusion of the judging since all images are always subject to being recalled and challenged either up or down until the conclusion of the judging - nothing is final until the judging is over.
    If you have a "sealed" image from a District competition, the sealed entry will automatically be accepted and will become a merit image. The merit image will then be judged for possible inclusion in the "Loan Collection". If your entry is accepted into the Loan Collection, you will receive an additional exhibition merit. If your images are NOT sealed prior to submission to the IPC, your image will be judged for merit and if accepted, will then be judged for Loan.
    Hope that answered your question.
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 07-06-2012 at 04:15 AM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Mindy, COngratulations on entering. Now let the pins and needles commence! I know personally once I get them sent in I start getting anxious for results. Rick gave you perfect information. He has been very involved at IPC for sometime and is quite knowledgable of the inner workings.
    Sarah L. Johnston, M. Photog. Cr., CPP, F-PPANI, PPA Juror

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops,
    PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!

Mindy, anyone who wants can attend IPC for free and watch the judging. It's an increidble experience and you meet some fantastic photographers.
    We would love to see you there, and anyone else who would like to attend.

I am curious - how many judges are there? And how does the process work if there is not value assigned to the image - just a yes or no by each judge - and that yes or no is based on it's a merit or it's not a merit? Just would like a little more detail about the actual process when the images appears in front of the judges and they are evaluating it based on 12 elements

CPP IMAGE REVIEW ON FACEBOOK - you MUST be a Declared Candidate to participate in this Facebook page --
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/218362211581341/

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Massarini View Post
    I'm not sure of what you're asking - regarding to seeing anything on the PPA site, but...
    The actual judging will take place in Lawrenceville, GA (just NE of Atlanta) at Gwinnett Tech from August 12-15.
    The results will be posted on the PPA web site under the competitions section just as soon as all of the results are compiled and the data checked for accuracy - the results have been posted as soon as the day following the completion of the judging to as late as a week or two after depending on the logistical issues involved. No results are released prior to the conclusion of the judging since all images are always subject to being recalled and challenged either up or down until the conclusion of the judging - nothing is final until the judging is over.
    If you have a "sealed" image from a District competition, the sealed entry will automatically be accepted and will become a merit image. The merit image will then be judged for possible inclusion in the "Loan Collection". If your entry is accepted into the Loan Collection, you will receive an additional exhibition merit. If your images are NOT sealed prior to submission to the IPC, your image will be judged for merit and if accepted, will then be judged for Loan.
    Hope that answered your question.
    Thanks Rick! Exactly what I was wanting to know!

Thanks Sarah!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyfoto View Post
    Mindy, anyone who wants can attend IPC for free and watch the judging. It's an increidble experience and you meet some fantastic photographers.
    We would love to see you there, and anyone else who would like to attend.
    I would really love to make it out there!

Quote Originally Posted by stonestreet View Post
    I am curious - how many judges are there? And how does the process work if there is not value assigned to the image - just a yes or no by each judge - and that yes or no is based on it's a merit or it's not a merit? Just would like a little more detail about the actual process when the images appears in front of the judges and they are evaluating it based on 12 elements
    I would like to know too. That actually one of the reason why I want to go watch the judging. I just feel like I would understand everything more....not to mention learning from seeing all of the prints being judged.

Quote Originally Posted by stonestreet View Post
    At the IPC, there are usually about 50-60 jurors invited. The number of jurors invited is a logistical decision and depends on the number of entries and the number of panels that need to be run in order to complete the judging in the time allocated - more entries means more jurors for more days. The jurors are divided into groups of 8-9 per panel - 6 jurors, an alternate, a Jury Chairman, and a Room Captain - so 50-60 jurors provides the capability of running 6 judging panels simultaneously. The jurors are regularly juggled from panel to panel and from room to room, so the makeup of the judging panels constantly changes. The Loan panels usually have more jurors than the Merit panels do, so extra jurors are assigned to the Loan room or to the Critique room.

The jurors vote by a yes or no scoring system. Numerical scores are not used at the IPC.

About 15 years ago, the judging was changed from a numerical scoring system to the current yes or no system. At the District judgings, the numerical score is sometimes used to determine trophy winners in different categories and high print case score winners for each state, but at the IPC, since there are no trophies to award, and no high print case award winner, and the only thing they are evaluating is whether or not it is a merit. The logic was that there was really no reason to spend time debating a numerical score at the national judging when the only thing that mattered at that point was whether it was a merit or not. And since the Loan Collection judging has always been a thumbs up/down system for determining if it went Loan, the logical step was to move the merit judging to the same procedure. A random sampling set of 50 prints was pulled and that set was judged numerous times by numerous panels both numerically and by yes/no vote to produce a data set that could be evaluated statistically. I don't remember exactly how many times that set was judged, but I do remember that we worked late into the evening every night that year - that set of prints was judged probably 4 or 5 times by each method (numerical and yes/no) and by different mixes of panel members - so that batch of prints was judged 8-10 times before the test was over. The distribution of the prints that received merits was nearly identical by both systems, so the PEC decided to change the judging system to the simpler system where the jurors no longer had to debate which category a print was to be placed (Below Exhibition Standards, Acceptable, Average, Above Average, Deserving of a Merit, Excellent, Superior, or Exceptional) only whether or not it was a merit or not.
    So at the IPC, in the "For Merit" rooms, the print spins on the turntable or appears on the monitor and the jurors evaluate it based on the 12 elements of a merit print. If in their opinion, the print is deserving of a merit or better, they vote yes. If it is not of merit quality, they vote no. The same process goes on in the "For Loan" judging room - if they feel that it is the "Best of the Best", they vote yes. If they feel that it is of merit quality, but not a truly outstanding image, they vote no.

From the Jury Chairman's manual:

The Merit/Not Merit method will be used at the International Judging.
    Each Image will be judged as to whether it is "Merited" or "Not Merited".
    Panels will consist of six or seven jurors. Six are designated as active jurors and one as an
    alternate. All jurors enter a score for each image. The score is calculated based on the six
    active jurors unless a juror disqualifies him/herself. In that case, the alternate juror’s score is
    used. The alternate Juror also may challenge a score, give their opinion and, in turn, give the
    rebuttal. On all challenges, the alternate juror is treated as a member of the panel.
    A simple majority is required to "Merit".
    If the panel is evenly split there will be an automatic challenge.

Loan Collection
    All merit images are judged for "Loan Collection" at the International Judging.
    A panel consists of six to fifteen jurors. An odd number of jurors is recommended.
    A simple majority is required for the print to "go loan".
    If it is evenly split, or close, the jury chairman will call for someone to speak for the print.
    After the selected juror has commented for the print, the chairman may call on someone else
    in favor of the print. After that, comments will be requested against the print, then for and
    against, alternately. When there are no more comments the chairman will call for the vote.

There is also another classification that your image can receive - the PPA Showcase Album. The way the Showcase Book works is that at the beginning of the Loan Judging, each juror is given a specific number of "chips". Each chip represents one selection for the Showcase Book. When a juror falls in love with an image and it does not go into the Loan Collection, he or she can give up one of their chips and place that image into the Showcase Book. Since each juror only receives a limited number of chips (last year it was six each) having your image selected for the Showcase Album is a special honor since it means that one of the jurors loved your image so much that he or she gave up one of their 5 or 6 choices to place your image into the Showcase Book, and that yours was one of his or her favorites out of all of the thousands of images that are there. So a Showcase Book selection is a big honor.

Hope this clarifies things a bit

Also - visitors are always welcome at the IPC. It's a great educational experience. Look me up and I'll give you a quick tour so you'll know what's going on in the different rooms and you'll know where to go to see what you want to see. The categories being judged in the various rooms change regularly, so it helps to know what's being judged in each room at any given time. The print judging rooms provide the observer with a better educational opportunity than the digital judging rooms since in the print rooms it is easy to see the print that is being judged since you are sitting just a row or so behind the jurors. In the digital rooms, seeing the monitors can be difficult since there are three jurors on each side of a table looking at the monitor and the jurors heads can block your view of the image on the monitor. The IPC is also a more intimate learning experience for the viewer since the judging is conducted in small school classrooms instead of large rooms or halls like at State or District judgings, so there are no microphones or PA systems used there. Often, as an observer, you might find yourself to be the only person in the room other than the jurors, and the print handlers. It's also a great opportunity to meet people and make friends.
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 07-07-2012 at 02:52 AM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman