Possible print submissions. Feedback/CC Please.

Hybrid View

Default Possible print submissions. Feedback/CC Please.

Hi there!

I am considering entering the competition this July. Considering, being a very strong word I would love some feedback/cc as to the images I posted. These are some of my favorite images as well as my clients, but I know that what I consider my favor can vary vastly from the judges opinions. What I can do to make future prints better? I've been reviewing the 12 elements of an image religiously. I am still wondering if I should enter, and which 4 should I submit, if I do enter. Maybe i'm not cut out for this? I don't know! Thank you in advance.

(don't mind the black border, there will be no black border when I submit the image)

I have a couple of more. But I will wait to see the feedback on these before I post more.
    Last edited by mtphotography; 05-26-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Default Re: Possible print submissions. Feedback/CC Please.

bump, Anyone?

Have you considered competing at your local affiliate? It is a great way to get feedback from qualified judges before entering at the national level.

While the couple in the first image have great expressions, the lighting is a little "hot" on the white causing them to loose total detail. The composition while interesting leaves some areas that are awkward, for instance the cropping on the couples hands, it would have probably looked better to leave a little space not cutting through the hands. The gentlemans tie is distracting and could have been fixed.

The second image is cute but the story is not obvious to the viewer as to why the girls are screaming. The strong vertical composition is good but could use a little space at the bottom not cropping the girls toes off. The lighting is flat overall.

Just as a matter of introduction, in case you don't know David Huntman, he is a PPA-PEC Jury Chairman at the International Competition, and a former PPA - Photographic Exhibitions Committee Chairman - in addition to being a Master of Photography, Photographic Craftsman and a Fellow of the American Society of Photographers. And from what I've heard, he's also pretty handy with a six-shooter...

Welcome to the PPA forum, Dave! ...and thanks!
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 06-18-2012 at 12:44 AM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman