Digital vs. Paper Prints

Default Digital vs. Paper Prints

Are there any advantages presentation-wise to entering images electronically vs. having traditional competition images made?

I understand in the end it's about the impact of the image and the skill of the maker... And we could talk a lot about cost, labs, etc. But what I really am wondering is how the judges feel. Does it make any unconscious difference at all judging a physical print as opposed to judging on a monitor? After all, presentation does count.

Default Re: Digital vs. Paper Prints

The advantage of the print is everything that you can do on a print that you cannot do on a digital image - like using watercolor paper for a soft image, or a special mounting technique for example. The judges still judge the image against the same standards (the 12 Elements of a Merit Print). Also, if you submit a print, and it is accepted, the print will be displayed at the National Convention as a physical print that can be studied and appreciated at length instead of being an image that flashes by on a monitor in a slide show display. It's your choice as to how you prefer your image to be displayed - physically or electronically.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

I agree with Rick, the medium I choose to enter would be very image specific. A vivid senior, fasion image would be good using either medium digital or print. On the other hand a delicate image with subtle tones could use the benefit of a print, possibly on a fine art paper. I feel there is nothing more powerful than a well printed black white, be it a portrait or a landscape image (portrait or landscape subject not orientation).

Well, I know when I view the selected images on exhibit, I really appreciate the prints. But there is that significant cost difference to be considered.
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP

It also makes a difference if you want to receive one of those gold exhibition corners to hang on your returned exhibition print at your studio. The gold cardboard corners are placed on the accepted prints that are exhibited, but the electronic entries have "electronic corners" added to them at the exhibition when they are exhibited on the monitors.
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 06-18-2012 at 12:08 AM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman